Do you believe in god?

• Please log in to reply
1730 replies to this topic

#426 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:10 PM

Are you referencing to big bang? I fail to see how your statement has anything to do with evolution.

Read the quote that you were responding to.

"I still believe in God, because something must have created logical beings."

I am saying that Evolution does not explain how something can be created from absolutely nothing. How did the first of ANYTHING start? No one knows.

#427 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:18 PM

Read the quote that you were responding to.

"I still believe in God, because something must have created logical beings."

I am saying that Evolution does not explain how something can be created from absolutely nothing. How did the first of ANYTHING start? No one knows.

Why do you assume there was a beginning?

#428 Gen

Gen
  • Ye old gen

• 1871 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:28 PM

I hope I don't get bashed for this o.o
I believe in god, not exactly the same way most people do... Hmmm, just told you what I believe in, no need to discuss, everyone has an opinion about something and they often are different ;)

#429 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:51 PM

I believe in GODMODE

#430 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:14 AM

Why do you assume there was a beginning?

The point is, how was anything ever created for the first time? That's what's not explained, and is a very essential question that isn't answered yet.

#431 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:22 AM

The point is, how was anything ever created for the first time? That's what's not explained, and is a very essential question that isn't answered yet.

Just like theism we have to make a leap somewhere.

According to the laws of conservation of mass and energy, whatever energy and mass exist have always existed.

According to monotheism, God has always existed.

According to polytheism, all gods descended from an original god(that we can assume always existed).

So scientifically, explaining "when it was created for the first time" is about as far from scientific as it comes. That's as silly as asking "who created God?"

#432 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:26 AM

I think what Joe is saying is along the lines of, why do we assume things need to have been created in the first place?

#433 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:08 AM

I think what Joe is saying is along the lines of, why do we assume things need to have been created in the first place?

Because how would things exist otherwise? It all has to start from somewhere.... at least until proven otherwise. Like I said, humans don't have this knowledge yet, making it kind of pointless even discussing it.

#434 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:14 AM

Because how would things exist otherwise? It all has to start from somewhere.... at least until proven otherwise. Like I said, humans don't have this knowledge yet, making it kind of pointless even discussing it.

If we only discussed things we already understand then we would never advance. :p

#435 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:33 AM

I think that the only way we can tackle the "beginning" of matter or energy is when we can "end" it. Once we find a way to do that, we're golden.

Until then we're stuck postulating about infinity or using circular reasoning.

"Where did all the matter in the universe come from?"
"It all expanded out in a large explosion in the big bang"
"And where did all THAT come from?"
"From the previous universe's collapse"
"And where did all THAT come from?"
etc.

"Where did all the matter in the universe come from?"
"God made it"
"And who made God?"
a)"God"
b)"God has always existed" (much like matter)

#436 kiddX

kiddX
  • 606 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:53 AM

I believe in God - but not really in the traditional sense. I believe everything is God, but God is more than everything.

#437 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:14 AM

Well, no.
"Everything has to begin" is an unsupported assumption. An assumption which is incompatible with the laws of physics as we understand them.
This incompatibility essentially means that "everything" had no beginning, or had a beginning that we can't understand yet.

Inserting "God" into that gap of absent knowledge is like filling a crack in a wall with custard; it might make you feel like the crack is gone, but it doesn't really help the situation in the least.

I believe in God - but not really in the traditional sense. I believe everything is God, but God is more than everything.

Apples are fruit, but fruit is more than apples.
Congratulations on believing in a tautology.

#438 kiddX

kiddX
  • 606 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:24 AM

Well i didn't feel like writing an essay and that seemed like a good way to sum it up. I feel like arguing why or why not believing in god is pointless is well kind of pointless. It's a belief and you can't really force anyone to believe what you believe.

Plus people have believed in dumber things: vampires, ghosts, spirits, mind reading, George Bush only to name a few.

#439 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:06 PM

Plus people have believed in dumber things: vampires, ghosts, spirits, mind reading, George Bush only to name a few.

WTF did Casper ever do to you?
There's about as much proof of vampires as there is God's existance, so I don't think believing in ghosts or vampires is dumber than having faith in a higher being. One could argue they are equally dumb.
:)

#440 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:23 PM

WTF did Casper ever do to you?
There's about as much proof of vampires as there is God's existance, so I don't think believing in ghosts or vampires is dumber than having faith in a higher being. One could argue they are equally dumb.
:)

We've killed people because we thought they were vampires.

And we've killed people that are "God," "Son of God," "a god" etc.

#441 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:36 PM

We've killed people because we thought they were vampires.

Don't forget Witches, gotta make sure they weigh the same as a duck before killing them, though. Posted Image

#442 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:36 PM

Vampires stem from a misinterpretation of a real disease of ancient peoples.
Ghosts and spirits, essentially the same thing, are still more readily "evidenced" than God.
Mind reading is perfectly plausible, although not of a supernatural nature.

Only faith in George Bush is totally inexplicable.

#443 Shadowfool

Shadowfool
  • 419 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:37 PM

I strictly do not believe in god in the way that most modern religions define him.
That being said, I still think organized religion is a good thing for some people. Personally I do not need it as I'm a fairly stable and logic bound person, but others have trouble coping with reality and need something to ground them.

#444 Gen

Gen
  • Ye old gen

• 1871 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:12 PM

Don't forget Witches, gotta make sure they weigh the same as a duck before killing them, though. Posted Image

It really felt like one of Monty Python's movie line... Posted Image
Plus, I think it was the first time Joe made me laugh since I've entered codex lol

#445 RKO

RKO
  • 590 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:06 AM

I can't picture god, its illogical. I look at science, and the facts are there, god does not exist.

#446 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:10 PM

I can't picture god, its illogical. I look at science, and the facts are there, god does not exist.

That's an equally illogical stance. Scientific facts in no way disprove the existence of a god.
Some types of god, and some aspects of other types of god, sure, and they certainly render one generally uneccessary, but they don't disprove the existence of one.

#447 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:13 PM

Science can't disprove or prove the existance of God. However, science does explain in theory how the solar system was created, how the earth was created, how humans came to exist. Life on this planet. Volcanoes -> Methane -> Carbon dioxide -> oxygen or whatnot, can't remember it.

As for facts..I guess you can look at Plato and Aristotle to determine facts and true facts and absolute facts.

#448 kiddX

kiddX
  • 606 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:19 PM

I think of science as the how and not the why. I think of god as everything in the universe - me included rather than a sentient being.

#449 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:23 PM

I think of science as the how and not the why. I think of god as everything in the universe - me included rather than a sentient being.

How wonderfully pointless. I believe in God too, then, as long as I redefine God to mean "my shoes".

#450 kiddX

kiddX
  • 606 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:30 PM

So god has to be a limited sentient being? A lot of religions don't have a sentient god so I think my opinions are hardly unique.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users