Do you believe in god?

• Please log in to reply
1730 replies to this topic

#451 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:36 PM

So god has to be a limited sentient being? A lot of religions don't have a sentient god so I think my opinions are hardly unique.

At this point, I don't believe you understand what the word sentient means.

#452 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:37 PM

So god has to be a limited sentient being? A lot of religions don't have a sentient god so I think my opinions are hardly unique.

what religions don't have a sentient god? If God were to exist, I would have to think he would be sentient.

Granted, they may be indifferent..but sentient nonetheless.

Edited by Warriors, 22 April 2010 - 12:38 PM.

#453 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:49 PM

what religions don't have a sentient god?

Scientology.

#454 BuckFutter

BuckFutter
  • 310 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:55 PM

I believe in god.

I always say omg or omfg. If I didn't believe in god I would be saying nonsense.

#455 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:48 PM

Scientology.

They don't believe in a god at all, making the "sentient" qualifier unnecessary.

Perhaps the question would be better phrased as "Which religions believe in a non-sentient god?".

#456 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:51 PM

I believe in god.

I always say omg or omfg. If I didn't believe in god I would be saying nonsense.

Obviously your breaking a commandment then.

2 I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery;
3 Do not have any other gods before me.
4 You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me,
6 but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments.
7 You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not acquit anyone who misuses his name.
8 Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy.
9 For six days you shall labour and do all your work.
10 But the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God; you shall not do any work—you, your son or your daughter, your male or female slave, your livestock, or the alien resident in your towns.
11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but rested the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and consecrated it.
12 Honor your father and your mother, so that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.
13 You shall not murder.
14 You shall not commit adultery.
15 You shall not steal.
16 You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
17 You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or male or female slave, or ox, or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.

#457 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:52 PM

you're*

And I dont believe in God.

#458 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:55 PM

you're*

And I dont believe in God.

don't*

#459 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:00 AM

Posted Image

#460 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:01 AM

don't*

Posted Image

#461 BuckFutter

BuckFutter
  • 310 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:35 AM

Well then, I don't believe in him anymore. :( Instead of omgod I'll say omdog

#462 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:36 AM

@Junsu: I bet you I was set up for that. :rolleyes:

#463 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:37 AM

3 April 2010 - 12:35 AM' timestamp='1272011709' post='1282248']
Well then, I don't believe in him anymore. :( Instead of omgod I'll say omdog

[/quote]

OMDOG.

http://i30.tinypic.com/ms0gav.jpg

#464 SimDairy

SimDairy
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:44 AM

To answer the question posted in this topic: yes.

I was born a Catholic and up until I started growing a mind of my own, followed the Bible like a dominatrix. As of recently, I consider the majority of the people who follow the Bible vis-a-vis as sharp as people who follow spam e-mails.

I still believe in God though. Due to lack of major proof or postulation of how everything has started or if it did "start" in the first place, I currently hold this as the most sensible hypothesis.

Also (not to come off as biased to other religions), I can say that Thomas Aquinas' explanation on the existence of God made me believe in God even further. It was called the Quinque Viae (googled it up to check if the spelling was right). Ever since I read it, I continue reading books produced by all the critics and the Christian apologetics and regard the explanations in each book/article as claims in a grand debate on the existence of God. And as of now the proposition side is winning (but maybe that's just because I've read more books by apologetics, don't know for sure).

To sum up my stand on religion/Christianity/God:

1. I believe in God
2. I go to church every once in a while
3. The Bible's a fable
4. Religion is a philosophical view which grounds and builds up the morals needed in my quest for knowledge
5. To each, his own

Yup... that pretty much sums it all up. Posted Image

#465 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:22 AM

I still believe in God though. Due to lack of major proof or postulation of how everything has started or if it did "start" in the first place, I currently hold this as the most sensible hypothesis.

Sensible by what metric?
Sensible in the same way that it was sensible for the Ancient Greeks to attribute lightning to Zeus, because they didn't understand it?

If you want to believe in God, that's just fine, but don't try to justify it with ignorance masquerading as knowledge.

#466 GeorgeBright

GeorgeBright
  • 503 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:49 AM

I personally don't believe in a god.
If there ever was, you'd better believe he's one sick son of a bitch.

#467 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:59 PM

I personally don't believe in a god.
If there ever was, you'd better believe he's one sick son of a bitch.

If god existed, why would he be a he..who knows it could be a she...or even in these times a he/she.

#468 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:06 PM

If god existed, why would he be a he..who knows it could be a she...or even in these times a he/she.

A monotheistic god is by definition an "it". There's no way you can determine a gender in a "species" that has only one, asexual, member.

#469 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:08 PM

A monotheistic god is by definition an "it". There's no way you can determine a gender in a "species" that has only one, asexual, member.

^ This. In a world where everyone gets offended by everything, the sexuality of God thing is by far my worst pet peeve :p

#470 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:44 PM

for monotheism, I guess it depends..its true you cannot define gender, but throughout the 3 desert religions all signify their god with a gender assignment. The way you say it makes anything I guess up for grabs since language and semantics are man-made constructs. So it can be true, but as we perceive the world we assign language for meaning so I guess it just depends on your point of view.

#471 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:56 PM

for monotheism, I guess it depends..its true you cannot define gender, but throughout the 3 desert religions all signify their god with a gender assignment. The way you say it makes anything I guess up for grabs since language and semantics are man-made constructs. So it can be true, but as we perceive the world we assign language for meaning so I guess it just depends on your point of view.

Sure, they're man-made constructs. But you're going to have a hard time communicating if you redefine words at will.

#472 BuckFutter

BuckFutter
  • 310 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:19 PM

Lol at the ad I got in this thread:

http://i40.tinypic.com/2kqzwj.jpg

#473 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:43 PM

Sure, they're man-made constructs. But you're going to have a hard time communicating if you redefine words at will.

Lol at the ad I got in this thread:

http://i40.tinypic.com/2kqzwj.jpg

Buck...you need ad-block..hilarious though.

Sweeney, that's true but the paradigm can always be changed.

As for God..My god is Nietzsche =D

#474 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:49 PM

Sweeney, that's true but the paradigm can always be changed.

A paradigm shift will occur when neccessary, not at the whim of a shallow, psuedophilisophical nihilist.

#475 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:56 PM

A paradigm shift will occur when neccessary, not at the whim of a shallow, psuedophilisophical nihilist.

Hey..hey..it will occur regardless of the individual..

Just remember stare too long at the abyss and it will stare back..

As for me, I am Jack's Nihilist.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users