Photo

Do you believe in god?

• Please log in to reply
1730 replies to this topic

#551 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:43 PM

Let's face it. Religion was the method used for people to 'understand' things around them. Science is now that method. Give us another couple thousand years, we'll come up with another.

#552 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:49 PM

God does not exist, as Karl Marx said 'Religion is the opiate of the masses'. God is no more than a scapegoat and fictitious entity for people to confide in during times of trouble nothing more

#553 fxckyouguys

fxckyouguys
  • 836 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:08 PM

bahhhhh, religion pisses me off. mostly because my grandma is always nagging me about it. >_>

#554 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:15 PM

bahhhhh, religion pisses me off. mostly because my grandma is always nagging me about it. >_>

Forcing religion on someone: The tried and true method of helping somebody keep the faith.

#555 Jodsta

Jodsta
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:56 AM

Yes I believe in god. He and I are palsPosted Image

#556 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:39 PM

Let's face it. Religion was the method used for people to 'understand' things around them. Science is now that method. Give us another couple thousand years, we'll come up with another.

Unless you have a post-modernist view of sociological aspects

God does not exist, as Karl Marx said 'Religion is the opiate of the masses'. God is no more than a scapegoat and fictitious entity for people to confide in during times of trouble nothing more

Well if you want to be a communist, go for it. I'm sure cuba will love to have you.

#557 Ressurect

Ressurect
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:53 PM

I believe in a higher power the universe is huge who knows whats out there and how advanced they are ;).

#558 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:08 PM

Well if you want to be a communist, go for it. I'm sure cuba will love to have you.

You know damn well that the quote is a quote, not a summary of all the ideological beliefs of the person. That was a weaksauce attack. A person can believe that a quote is wise without jumping on board with every one of that person's beliefs.

#559 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:02 PM

Unless you have a post-modernist view of sociological aspects

There's people out there that think they're the messiah, I see no reason why people can't believe in postmodernism as well. Still waiting for it to have a bigger impact on society than what it's done in the past hundred years.

#560 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:09 AM

You know damn well that the quote is a quote, not a summary of all the ideological beliefs of the person. That was a weaksauce attack. A person can believe that a quote is wise without jumping on board with every one of that person's beliefs.

So basically you take a quote OUT OF CONTEXT and apply it to something else to emphasis a weak point. Nice. Schools in America are failing.

There's people out there that think they're the messiah, I see no reason why people can't believe in postmodernism as well. Still waiting for it to have a bigger impact on society than what it's done in the past hundred years.

Look up postmodernism because you've missed the point.

#561 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:22 AM

Look up postmodernism because you've missed the point.

Seems you've missed the point. There are crazy people out there, if religion ain't crazy enough there's always postmodernism.

#562 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:28 AM

So basically you take a quote OUT OF CONTEXT and apply it to something else to emphasis a weak point. Nice. Schools in America are failing.

Please put it into context then, where believing that "Religion is the opiate of the masses" directly correlates to a belief in communism. You have to be trolling me here.

Assuming that I can sit here and think to myself all day that believing in a religion makes people intellectually lazy and sedentary, when I see a quote that that takes a direct parallel between what I'm thinking and makes into a beautifully quotable line, I can't use it because of the beliefs of the quote's originator?

There's more than one way to come to a conclusion, and it is possible to use a quotable line to emphasize a point (notice I didn't say prove... It's not a replacement for logic, but merely concise talking point).

Now please stop pretending to be daft. I've read many of your posts, and while many of them come off trollish, your points are usually a bit stronger than one line and an attack on American schools.

#563 NeoVix

NeoVix
  • 152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:37 AM

Nope...

#564 Nonygirl

Nonygirl
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:52 AM

No.

I also have quite a bit against religion. :angry:

I was told by a woman when I was 8 years old that my father killed himself because we didn't believe in God.

#565 Wangalang

Wangalang
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:36 PM

God is a waste of faith, so I don't believe. Have faith in your own ability, capability, and knowledge rather than that of a non-existent deity. That's the way to live.

#566 devil669988

devil669988
  • 355 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:01 AM

I believe there's a higher being but religion is just pain ludicrous

#567 Shadowfool

Shadowfool
  • 419 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:07 PM

I believe there's a higher being but religion is just pain ludicrous

weird I'm the complete opposite. What religion were you born a part of?

#568 zzzzzzz

zzzzzzz
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:25 PM

I've been asking myself the question a lot in the past few years. I've grown up being, essentially, brain washed into believing that there is a God. But ow I've turned away from that and simply no longer know where I stand. But I do believe that without "God" the human race is stripped of most logical reasoning for right and wrong.

#569 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:14 PM

But I do believe that without "God" the human race is stripped of most logical reasoning for right and wrong.

Elaborate please

#570 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:36 PM

weird I'm the complete opposite. What religion were you born a part of?

Wait, you believe there's no higher being, but you believe in religion?
I can only assume you're a buddhist with a terrible understanding of your own philosophy...

#571 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:11 AM

Wait, you believe there's no higher being, but you believe in religion?
I can only assume you're a buddhist with a terrible understanding of your own philosophy...

Does this mean Tiger Woods is on our forum? FUCK YEAAAAAAAAH.

Also this is so true:

Posted Image

Edited by Jake, 10 June 2010 - 03:13 AM.

#572 Redemptionist

Redemptionist
  • 382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:29 PM

i would say to a certain extent i do

#573 picole

picole
  • 483 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:13 AM

I do not have religion but I believe God, and I thus think for everything he happens what me, I do not go to say that the life is a sea of roses, but everything what we know has an origin and believes that he is God

#574 devil669988

devil669988
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:45 AM

Well one thing is for certain if we didn't have any religion the world would be in disarray. Morality will be questioned since after all morality is basing things on God and what he wants us to become so that we go to heaven. The justice system will be in tatters after all a lot of people believe that there is an afterlife and that's why most people don't do crimes. Without a means for hope in the next life poor people will commit suicide or will turn to crime without a seconds thought

#575 Zacharus

Zacharus
  • 589 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:12 AM

Well one thing is for certain if we didn't have any religion the world would be in disarray. Morality will be questioned since after all morality is basing things on God and what he wants us to become so that we go to heaven. The justice system will be in tatters after all a lot of people believe that there is an afterlife and that's why most people don't do crimes. Without a means for hope in the next life poor people will commit suicide or will turn to crime without a seconds thought

No not really... I believe in Buddha and Jesus to a certain extent but at night I still feel sad cause I keep thinking if I die its for good. We don't do crimes because it is unfair and unjust. Feel the pain... The fear.... how could you do that to someone else if you were a human?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users