• Please log in to reply
1730 replies to this topic

#601 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:36 AM

i'm pretty sure religion doesn't stop people from things or force people since it's the persons choice. I also do not comprehend how you can claim that they're waisting huge amounts of their existence considering it's what they love and enjoy.

How doesn't religion stop people? Practicing muslims must follow halal, and are even (in some circles) supposed to follow shariah. Christians have dietary restrictions, activity restrictions, even work restrictions on the Sabbath. Hindus are predominantly vegetarian. The list goes on and on.

As for using up people's time, how is your Sunday spent? Or your Saturday? If your time is spent in a communal worship of a divine god, you're better off communally worshiping the divine easter bunny. Or the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

#602 Zacharus

Zacharus
  • 589 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:48 AM

How doesn't religion stop people? Practicing muslims must follow halal, and are even (in some circles) supposed to follow shariah. Christians have dietary restrictions, activity restrictions, even work restrictions on the Sabbath. Hindus are predominantly vegetarian. The list goes on and on.

As for using up people's time, how is your Sunday spent? Or your Saturday? If your time is spent in a communal worship of a divine god, you're better off communally worshiping the divine easter bunny. Or the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Is it weird that I'm Buddhist but I don't pray or anything @.@ I just claim so ! ><

#603 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:52 AM

Is it weird that I'm Buddhist but I don't pray or anything @.@ I just claim so ! ><

I'm buddhist. I don't pray. I don't even go to temple. We're missing out on sangha, but it isn't a necessary component.

#604 Zacharus

Zacharus
  • 589 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:54 AM

I'm buddhist. I don't pray. I don't even go to temple. We're missing out on sangha, but it isn't a necessary component.

Hi-5 lol ! Just sometimes I try to avoid life food but sometimes :shifty: sorry crabby! Well but we could still eat those cold crabs :drool:

#605 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:57 AM

I eat fish. To be honest, if you're unlucky enough to become seafood after being human, you deserve to be eaten. I'm almost vegetarian though. Wish I could be healthy without some natural protein.

#606 Zacharus

Zacharus
  • 589 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:00 AM

I eat fish. To be honest, if you're unlucky enough to become seafood after being human, you deserve to be eaten. I'm almost vegetarian though. Wish I could be healthy without some natural protein.

You should eat Tofu. Tofu is a healthy alternative to meat and gives protein ( I think ^_^)

#607 kittycat

kittycat
  • 633 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:17 PM

Pretty sure Malwarebytes, Combofix, Gmer, Hijackthis, and Avira are the closest thing to God, but what do I know.

#608 Xerous

Xerous
  • 184 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:12 PM

Ah, yes. Of course.
Every religious person has chosen their exact religion out of choice, entirely uncoerced.

You're disgustingly naive.

i wasn't generalizing although it appears that way and must you be so negative

People can still decide not to do anything for example if man was held at gunpoint and was told to do a certain task he still has the regardless of the consequences.

You should eat Tofu. Tofu is a healthy alternative to meat and gives protein ( I think ^_^)

true but requires a lot of doctoring to achieve a decent flavor.

Edited by Xerous, 26 June 2010 - 02:06 PM.

#609 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:26 PM

i wasn't generalizing although it appears that way and must you be so negative

Then be concise. It's up to you to be clear. It's not up to me to interpret your mysterious syntactical nuances.

People can still decide not to do anything for example if man was held at gunpoint and was told to do a certain task he still has the regardless of the consequences.

It's still a choice, but it is far from a free and fair choice.
That is an extremely important distinction.

#610 kittycat

kittycat
  • 633 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:26 PM

It's still a choice, but it is far from a free and fair choice.
That is an extremely important distinction.

If you're an involuntarist you'd argue that you can't choose to believe in just anything. You wouldn't define a belief as an action and thus not cannot be obtained by command.
Read up on compliance and influence everyone 'chooses' (and therefore doesn't choose at all, being a paradox, if there are no other choices then you can't choose it). Everyone's beliefs are derived from their environment if you have the ability to relocate yourself apart from influence of a particular belief system so you won't feel need to comply, then you can choose your beliefs. This is also flawed, even then what would you choose to believe after formally being indoctrinated into a belief system you wouldn't choose to leave it, unless influenced by another belief system... the cycle repeats no one chooses their beliefs.

Edited by kittycat, 26 June 2010 - 02:28 PM.

#611 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:38 PM

One can wonder how can one not believe in something that doesn't exist?

Good point. I don't believe in unicorns so they MUST be real.

i'm pretty sure religion doesn't stop people from things or force people since it's the persons choice. I also do not comprehend how you can claim that they're waisting huge amounts of their existence considering it's what they love and enjoy.

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAA. This made me laugh the hardest today, thank you.

If one is born into a religious family, the influence is so strong that those people tend to become religious themselves. In Western culture perhaps it is a choice for most people, but there isn't much of a difference when you have it being shoved down your throat. I would comment on the time consuming but I'll just refer you back to rednut's post.

#612 Xerous

Xerous
  • 184 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:58 PM

If you're an involuntarist you'd argue that you can't choose to believe in just anything. You wouldn't define a belief as an action and thus not cannot be obtained by command.
Read up on compliance and influence everyone 'chooses' (and therefore doesn't choose at all, being a paradox, if there are no other choices then you can't choose it). Everyone's beliefs are derived from their environment if you have the ability to relocate yourself apart from influence of a particular belief system so you won't feel need to comply, then you can choose your beliefs. This is also flawed, even then what would you choose to believe after formally being indoctrinated into a belief system you wouldn't choose to leave it, unless influenced by another belief system... the cycle repeats no one chooses their beliefs.

I don't believe that you can simply generalize that.

Good point. I don't believe in unicorns so they MUST be real.

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAA. This made me laugh the hardest today, thank you.

If one is born into a religious family, the influence is so strong that those people tend to become religious themselves. In Western culture perhaps it is a choice for most people, but there isn't much of a difference when you have it being shoved down your throat. I would comment on the time consuming but I'll just refer you back to rednut's post.

LOL i won't argue that it doesn't exist but i would say the odds are against you.

I believe that all depends on the parent-child relationship.

#613 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:40 PM

I don't believe that you can simply generalize that.

Unfortunately, the world -is- deterministic. That's simply a fact.
Until you reach the quantum level, at least, and that's most likely an artefact of our inability to analyse quantum events in signifigant detail.

Free will is an illusion which most people require in order to remain sane, but it's still an illusion.

#614 kittycat

kittycat
  • 633 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:57 PM

Until you reach the quantum level, at least, and that's most likely an artefact of our inability to analyse quantum events in signifigant detail.

Free will is an illusion which most people require in order to remain sane, but it's still an illusion.

yay Sweeney =^ _^=, so happy U don't come off as a pseudo-intellectual, and actually know a lil bit of what you're talking about.

edit: the contemporary usage of 'free will' exists of course, but actual free will is beyond us, we don't even know what it is.

Edited by kittycat, 27 June 2010 - 07:00 PM.

#615 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:34 PM

yay Sweeney =^ _^=, so happy U don't come off as a pseudo-intellectual, and actually know a lil bit of what you're talking about.

edit: the contemporary usage of 'free will' exists of course, but actual free will is beyond us, we don't even know what it is.

I know what free will is, it's to walk outside and do a moonwalk while making love to my neighbours mother and singing California Girls.

#616 Puppetmaster

Puppetmaster
  • 905 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:49 PM

I know what free will is, it's to walk outside and do a moonwalk while making love to my neighbours mother and singing California Girls.

+1, and sig'd. This is a perfect example of free will ;)

#617 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:23 AM

+1, and sig'd. This is a perfect example of free will ;)

Posted Image

#618 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:09 AM

Is determinism still a credible theory? I know quite a few universities are teaching it as being outdated, at least in the philosophical arena.

I always thought QM did away with determinism anyway. At a Quantum level, physical laws break down, and there is no logical sequence of events. To argue determinism were true would also be arguing quantum events play no observable role on a non-quantum world, which we know is false through observation.

Feel free to correct me if this isn't the consensus amongst qualified physicists.

Edited by Artificial, 28 June 2010 - 07:12 AM.

#619 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:13 AM

Is determinism still a credible theory? I know quite a few universities are teaching it as being outdated, at least in the philosophical arena.

I always thought QM did away with determinism anyway. At a Quantum level, physical laws break down, and there is no logical sequence of events. To argue determinism were true would also be arguing quantum events play no observable role on a non-quantum world, which we know is false through observation.

Feel free to correct me if this isn't the consensus amongst qualified physicists.

To say that there is no logical sequence of events at the quantum level is to downplay the level of complexity involved in the interactions that take place.
It's becoming increasingly evident that causality is still in effect, just in far subtler and more complex ways than were first imagined.

#620 Xerous

Xerous
  • 184 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:13 AM

Posted Image

Are you compelled to humor us?

#621 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:31 AM

Are you compelled to humor us?

Either that, or troll the living hell out of us.

Can never tell the difference.

#622 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:54 PM

Either that, or troll the living hell out of us.

Can never tell the difference.

I'm offended by your disrespect.

#623 Redemptionist

Redemptionist
  • 382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:18 AM

i personally kind of do but i need some proof so im in between on this.

#624 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:55 AM

I'm offended by your disrespect.

How do you think YWHW feels about your "Fuck Yeah" picture being posted in a "Do You Believe in God?" debate? Talk about disrespect, man.

#625 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:08 AM

How do you think YWHW feels about your "Fuck Yeah" picture being posted in a "Do You Believe in God?" debate? Talk about disrespect, man.

It's YHWH.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users