Photo

Do you believe in god?

• Please log in to reply
1730 replies to this topic

#776 pabs123

pabs123
  • 498 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:37 PM

I admit I understand your points and I'm too lazy to argue with it haha. But about Jehovah's witnesses I don't really know much about your denomination but my favorite athlete Nate Quarry I remember was a member of Jehovah's witnesses until he was around 24 at which point he took up MMA. According to him since his decision to leave the Jehovah's witnesses he became alienated from his friends and family. In an interview he characterized the Jehovah's witnesses as a cult that controls its members 24/7. Something that is not common in other church denominations.

i beg to differ... catholicism controls its members telling them what they should think just as you have been doing all this time... i think you feel to see the fact that you are imposing your beliefs onto others with absolutely no backups other than assumptions and blind faith. just because others don't believe in what you believe you say they are condemned to be judged by god and it's sounding a lot like those muslim extremists you hear so much about sans the killing... it's equally as wrong and i think it's the church's fault for being so controlling and over zealous

#777 Powerrrr

Powerrrr
  • 955 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:52 PM

I'm on the fence for this. God may or may not exist, you can't prove or disprove it. Anywhere it doesn't matter to me since it doesn't affect me.

#778 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:47 AM

I'm on the fence for this. God may or may not exist, you can't prove or disprove it. Anywhere it doesn't matter to me since it doesn't affect me.

Cue the Russell's teapot analogy.

#779 AliceFi

AliceFi
  • 474 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:29 AM

i think believing in a god is not bad, it's just that other people take too much advantage of the naivety it creates for some, and thát is bad

#780 MiladyM

MiladyM
  • 428 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:38 AM

I like your way of thinking :p

#781 Zacharus

Zacharus
  • 589 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:12 AM

Heh the arguements are really funny :p I read abit hey! I was lazy to go thru the rest! *watches with popcorn and magazines* I give this great debate 4.7/5 popcorns! Keep it coming guys ! :D

#782 pabs123

pabs123
  • 498 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:50 AM

I like your way of thinking :p

i guess you're both agnostics then :)

#783 outsidedream86

outsidedream86
  • 457 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:05 AM

I came across this not too long ago, explaining why it's not atheist-agnostic-theist, but actually atheist/theist and agnostic/gnostic. Pick one from each.

Atheist, Gnostic, Theist, Agnostic

#784 Lychee

Lychee
  • 633 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:48 AM

I came across this not too long ago, explaining why it's not atheist-agnostic-theist, but actually atheist/theist and agnostic/gnostic. Pick one from each.

I liked this article. I'd class myself as athiest agnostic - I don't believe in gods, but I can't conclusively prove that they don't exist - and I don't believe anyone else could, either. That said, I don't feel the need to defend the idea that a god does not exist - the onus to provide evidence lies with those who do.

#785 Powerrrr

Powerrrr
  • 955 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:26 PM

You can't prove that god doesn''t exist, unless

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1-bbz3crjw

TEH HORROR!

#786 Greatgenes

Greatgenes
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:44 PM

i beg to differ... catholicism controls its members telling them what they should think just as you have been doing all this time... i think you feel to see the fact that you are imposing your beliefs onto others with absolutely no backups other than assumptions and blind faith. just because others don't believe in what you believe you say they are condemned to be judged by god and it's sounding a lot like those muslim extremists you hear so much about sans the killing... it's equally as wrong and i think it's the church's fault for being so controlling and over zealous

yes i agree. i have a friend that tries to push god on me alot, he says that i need to be saved by god and always talkes about how jesus loves us soooo much that he died for all of our sins, and that if we do not accept god into our hearts we will go to hell.

now who knows for all we know pple who say this could be right, i just think its scary when people push this on teens and other people who are having a hard time in life. it can really mentally mess them up, being there in a spot like that once myself when i was younger. i do not judge anyone on there beliefs but i do not agree with preaching it to everybody, specailly younger people.

#787 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:16 PM

I knew I qualified myself as an Atheistic Agnostic, but didn't want to throw extra shit in without an article to back me up. Thanks!

I may not qualify as an "approved atheist" like Joe, but my logical agnosticism leads me down that path.

#788 pabs123

pabs123
  • 498 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:41 PM

like you guys said i'd qualify myself as an atheist agnostic, but looking at this definition:

An atheist gnostic is someone who does not believe in gods, and who thinks that we can know that gods do not exist. A fairly unusual position, they might think they have found proof of the non-existence of gods, or might have been persuaded by life experiences.

that simply sounds like people who've been hit by tragedy and are bitter, i mean who can concretely prove there is no god?

#789 outsidedream86

outsidedream86
  • 457 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:27 PM

that simply sounds like people who've been hit by tragedy and are bitter, i mean who can concretely prove there is no god?

You're right, this is a completely irrational position to hold. I'd put gnostic atheists on par with any religious person. Though, quite honestly, I don't think I've ever actually met a gnostic atheist (despite what religious people are always claiming). Saying "I don't believe in God," or sometimes even "There is no God," is just an easy way of saying, "Based on the lack of available evidence, I reject your claim that there is a god until you provide sufficient evidence to the contrary."

After making that statement to a deeply religious person, next thing I usually hear is, "You can't prove that there is no god!"

*sigh*

#790 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:31 PM

like you guys said i'd qualify myself as an atheist agnostic, but looking at this definition:

An atheist gnostic is someone who does not believe in gods, and who thinks that we can know that gods do not exist. A fairly unusual position, they might think they have found proof of the non-existence of gods, or might have been persuaded by life experiences.

It is impossible..or at least it should be. There is always a slight probability that a being that could be called God existed in any set of universes or what not..I would love to be one of those...Maybe if it is true I can find out just how to say it as an absolute truth that there is no God.

Maybe we can know that a God exists or not but right now we simply do not.

Edited by Warriors, 19 July 2010 - 09:33 PM.

#791 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:42 PM

If God existed in one universe what's stopping him from going to other universes? Assuming by God you mean an omnipotent being

#792 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:30 PM

I knew I qualified myself as an Atheistic Agnostic, but didn't want to throw extra shit in without an article to back me up. Thanks!

I may not qualify as an "approved atheist" like Joe, but my logical agnosticism leads me down that path.

Just because I'm approved doesn't mean I consider myself gnostic.
Gnostic atheism is as irrational as gnostic theism.

#793 stellanox

stellanox
  • 440 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:44 PM

I believe in God but sometimes I get really disheartened by the Church and the people who's running it :/

#794 pabs123

pabs123
  • 498 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:46 PM

the whole idea of being gnostic is irrational and idiotic... the only thing that comes out of that is making oneself look like a hard headed moron like a certain person we all encountered

#795 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:49 PM

I believe in God but sometimes I get really disheartened by the Church and the people who's running it :/

Be an Anti-Theist like me..You see what I did..heheh..I could careless about God, I am just vehemently against organized man-made religion as it disillusions and chains mankind down. Hell, with all the crap going on these days it seems the establishment of organized religion is getting a lot of flack....If you do believe in God, you obviously dont need the damn Church telling you what to do those hypocritical megalomaniacs...Maybe for fun try reading about the History of the Church and its split to the Church of England and what not..real interesting stuff espcially in the 100 year war and the Crusades..

#796 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:17 AM

Not quite what I meant :p

I meant that you may fall closer to the "atheist" category than the "agnostic" category. They have a nice little sliding scale in that link :p

#797 pabs123

pabs123
  • 498 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:42 AM

I meant that you may fall closer to the "atheist" category than the "agnostic" category. They have a nice little sliding scale in that link :p

i like the point in the middle that simply says "i don't care" lol

#798 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:51 PM

You got angry faced with him for ignoring your point. Dont ignore mine...

#799 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:44 PM

You got angry faced with him for ignoring your point. Dont ignore mine...

Which one? Only point I can see on this nice long double page is "Bagel"

#800 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:12 AM

Which one? Only point I can see on this nice long double page is "Bagel"

http://www.neocodex....ost__p__1314359

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users