Photo

Do you believe in god?

• Please log in to reply
1730 replies to this topic

#1526 poisonapple88

poisonapple88
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:25 PM

Nope. Haven't in a really long time. But Harry Potter magic may be out there somewhere! :x3:

#1527 Rooshy

Rooshy
  • 254 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:12 PM

This is the debate forum. People debate in here.
If you don't want to discuss your opinions, write them on a post-it note and stick them inside your underwear drawer, where they'll be nice and safe from the cold light of reality.

I didn't put the "I don't know why I'm posting this" sentence there just for giggles. It pretty much implied that whatever I was going to say was superfluous and wasn't gonna add to the discussion.
And honestly, you shouldn't be calling me out on it, because half the people here aren't debating either.

But whatever.

Edited by Rooshy, 14 August 2011 - 08:58 AM.

#1528 JorJor

JorJor
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:00 PM

I used to. But as someone said on the first page of this topic (which I just realized was over 2 years ago o.o) I was forced to attend church every Sunday against my will, even after I turned 18. I suppose it's the resentment combined with the fact that I see how little (if any) proof there is of any one single great deity or god. When you actually take a step back and examine religion it all seems funny. Almost like a cult even :p A group of people blindly following a book when they don't even know who wrote it. I consider the bible to be a work of fiction, really. :p

#1529 mash

mash
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:59 AM

i dont believe in god at all....but i dunno why, i believe in ghosts and the paranormal. kinda feel a wee bit hypocritical for it but meh...gotta have some hobbies lol

#1530 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:03 PM

I didn't put the "I don't know why I'm posting this" sentence there just for giggles. It pretty much implied that whatever I was going to say was superfluous and wasn't gonna add to the discussion.
And honestly, you shouldn't be calling me out on it, because half the people here aren't debating either.

But whatever.

Then next time, don't post it.

Have to start somewhere, although good point.
Mainly, I responded to your post in particular precisely because you went into more detail about why your post was to be held separate from the discussion, rather than engaging and backing up your own reasoning instead.

#1531 Rooshy

Rooshy
  • 254 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:04 PM

Then next time, don't post it.

Have to start somewhere, although good point.
Mainly, I responded to your post in particular precisely because you went into more detail about why your post was to be held separate from the discussion, rather than engaging and backing up your own reasoning instead.

Now that I look back on it, I should have probably done precisely that.
However, I guess what I was going for more was expressing the pointlessness of preaching your faith over an online forum to people who don't know you. There's been a lot of that in this forum, and I was just kinda like, why are you guys even bothering? e.e

#1532 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:43 PM

Nooooooope, believing in a god is damn ignorant.

Why does everything suck? GOD DID IT
Why did the dinosaurs die? GOD DID IT
Bad things happen? Blame people of another religion
Worse things happen? Scholars must make god unhappy
Shits still happening? Better force religion down everyone's throats

#1533 Eyams

Eyams
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:05 PM

nope. wouldnt make sense to.

^true that

#1534 Vivillon

Vivillon
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:06 PM

Amen!

#1535 Shampoo

Shampoo
  • 295 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:34 PM

Posted Image

#1536 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:40 PM

Posted Image

Same goes for religious people. You don't know how much shit I get when I tell people I don't believe in god. "Oh you don't believe in god? Your parents probably failed with you somewhere down the road"

fact: I've never heard a religious person say "I respect your beliefs"
Posted Image

Edited by Volition, 17 August 2011 - 07:16 PM.

#1537 Shadowized

Shadowized
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:42 PM

The only thing I believe in is the greater good of humanity... even that is failing.

#1538 Kenderson

Kenderson
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:57 PM

I don't believe in god, I think it's a safety net people use to keep them from thinking about the afterlife and how there cant possibly be one.

#1539 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:50 AM

I don't believe in god, I think it's a safety net people use to keep them from thinking about the afterlife and how there cant possibly be one.

As an agnostic atheist and a lover of statistics, I have to disagree with you. Mankind's scientific understanding is a volatile thing, and theories are called theories because they are open to be later updated, superseded, or disproven entirely to fit the current scientific understanding. I would think it narrow minded for anyone to consider any scientific theory infallible or without exceptions.

It's impossible at our current level of scientific understanding to completely prove or disprove the existence of some sort of "afterlife," so it is up to the individual to weigh the odds of its existence against the amount off effort required to achieve their desired outcome in whatever afterlife they think will occur.

Some people are religious because they think the odds of an afterlife are high, and usually if they want to talk to you about their religion, sometimes that's because they can't understand why you aren't as sure of their view of the afterlife as they are.

I've personally come to the conclusion that an after-life is fairly unlikely and not worth me spending time or effort working towards any afterlives that require faith in specific superhuman entities. On that same note, if one exists that rates somebody on their "qualifications" as a "good person," I feel like I would do fine anyway. I have my flaws, but everybody does.

#1540 Gen

Gen
  • Ye old gen

• 1871 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:29 AM

Same goes for religious people. You don't know how much shit I get when I tell people I don't believe in god. "Oh you don't believe in god? Your parents probably failed with you somewhere down the road"

fact: I've never heard a religious person say "I respect your beliefs"
Posted Image

I'm not atheist and I respect your beliefs... Don't generalize =P

#1541 Epidote

Epidote
  • 294 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:13 AM

Thank god I'm an atheist!

#1542 italkaboutoddthings

italkaboutoddthings
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:23 AM

Given if a higher power did exist, and given his name is god. I could typically assume he is not only the only person with all mighty powers. With that in mind i could also say we are Sim characters he and his buddies are using to screw around with daily. Making the wrong choices in our lives, every time their lazy to press the go to work button or make friends button. Blast them :o

#1543 mysterybat

mysterybat
  • 305 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:29 AM

don't believe in God at all ~

but my school forced me to study in Religious Studies
and really feel annoying when I heard anything about the God again and again <_<

#1544 Currant

Currant
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:49 AM

Yes

#1545 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:01 AM

Yes

Way to go.
Top notch debating, that.

#1546 Currant

Currant
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:02 AM

Way to go.
Top notch debating, that.

I'm not here to debate and get flamed by everyone who doesn't believe in God. I'm simply answering the OP's question.

#1547 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:06 AM

I'm not here to debate and get flamed by everyone who doesn't believe in God. I'm simply answering the OP's question.

Then I would humbly suggest you shuffle your backside out of the God-damned debating section.

#1548 Currant

Currant
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:07 AM

Then I would humbly suggest you shuffle your backside out of the God-damned debating section.

Well first of all, I didn't realize it was the debate section, I just saw it as the last replied topic on the forum homepage.

Secondly, why do you have such a nasty attitude? God doesn't like that ;)

Anyway, I am going to shuffle out of here, after realizing that this is the debate section, see ya.

Edited by Currant, 18 August 2011 - 10:08 AM.

#1549 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:10 AM

Well first of all, I didn't realize it was the debate section, I just saw it as the last replied topic on the forum homepage.

Secondly, why do you have such a nasty attitude? God doesn't like that ;)

So carelessness is your excuse for posting a dismally boring reply? Personally, I don't think that makes it better.

You know what else God doesn't like? Sanctimonious, patronising pricks.
Actually, that might just be me, and everyone else on Earth.

#1550 Faerhii

Faerhii
  • 182 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:42 AM

I'm not atheist and I respect your beliefs... Don't generalize =P

IDK why, but this post really annoyed me. :/

When the statement holds true for at least 75% of the people in question, it's not really generalizing, it's more the moral majority. And honestly on the original post you commented on, I think it's closer to 90-95% correct. So, generalizing is definitely tolerable. Just because YOU happen to be a "non-athiest" that can respect others beliefs doesn't mean everyone else is. I have yet to EVER meet a person of religion who can respect anothers right to not believe in god. I've lived all over the USA, spent time in the UK and Canada. It's the same everywhere. Either you believe in god, or you're wrong and need to be converted. There is no respect for the right to choose.

That being said, if you are a person of religion who respects others beliefs, kudos. There should be a hell of a lot more of you.

But, it's doubtful that will ever happen. :/ Religion IMHO is a bad thing, it takes away the free will of the followers and conditions them to blindly follow thier pasters. There's a reason they call a church's following a flock, they want you to blindly follow the herd like a sheep. :/

When it comes to my own beleifs, I think many will disagree with me. I don't see a point in debating about "god" or an all powerful being who created us.. It's called being an apathetic agnostic. But, I hate the word agnostic.. It was derived by the Christians way back when from the word ignorant. I do, however, believe the definition to the T. Don't worry if god exists, it doesn't matter. If said being does exist, they're gone. They made us and split. They're not still watching, waiting to shuttle us off to "heaven" and "hell." They don't exist. Your bible says it plain as day "earth is the new heaven." I wish more people would pull their heads out of their asses and realize this. Take some time to look at the clouds, take in nature. Enjoy this beautiful world we have. It's all we're going to get.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users