• 6934 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:46 AM

Good move :D

#27 Rambo

Rambo
  • 833 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:00 PM

Yay i have 50+ posts during this week yay!

Yay, I have 14480+ posts during this week, yay!

Hello Robert!

#28 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:46 PM

Not seen you on the boards for ages Robert :p.

#29 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:12 PM

I'm not really sure how I feel about this. I have always been against public ABers and such in the past, but I think drastic times call for drastic measures. I don't play neo anymore which is also contributing to my lackluster attitude toward the change. I think the problem is that a ton of ppl are going to flood the site as soon as a major program is released, and I don't think we have enough (active) people who have been on the scene for a while to start conversation and keep them interested in the site. Like you said, the ppl who are going to stay active will anyway, but I think the amount of people who will join just for programs is going to be much larger than you expected, putting strain on programmers while still having a relatively dead forum. Also this devalues the advanced and private ranks even more than they already were, unless you're planning a new type of program in those areas such as server side programs. I don't know what the answer to the problem is, and I don't know if this is going to do a thing or not honestly. It will be interesting to see.

My .02

#30 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:14 PM

Let's just see what happens guys. I don't mind programming for people who don't even post a single thing on the forums. I just want to know that they are using my program. :D

#31 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:17 PM

Well, programmers could create problems on purpose to make the forums more active. But that would be evil though :p

#32 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:19 PM

Well, programmers could create problems on purpose to make the forums more active. But that would be evil though :p

I think something very important that needs to be remembered is to put such things as AB lists and USAB lists on the forums as opposed to in the program file. At least they have to come on the forums for that

#33 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:24 PM

I think something very important that needs to be remembered is to put such things as AB lists and USAB lists on the forums as opposed to in the program file. At least they have to come on the forums for that

Yeah, though I don't know if you've heard, but we're making loadable lists obsolete. :p People will be able to load them, but we're planning to just network this one. We have the items database reconstructed and the front-end is almost done. :p

#34 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:49 PM

Worst case scenario just implant some sort of program that only allows the user to use the program if they post consistently. What Hydrogen is getting rid of removes restrictions from getting total posts or higher ranks, I think it should be allowed that the system requires so many posts per week or month based on statistics of other members. If this were to happen, spam would be major for sure, but that's when ban hammer comes into play, non?

#35 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:08 PM

There seems to be a lot of emphasis on getting people to post. I'm kind of surprised by some suggestions to purposely cripple programs to get people to come to the forums. This is the wrong way to look at things. If we make people happy, they will hold a good view of Neocodex. If we have a lot of problems, they may come to the forums once or twice, but eventually they will get tired of the problems.

Don't be evil :p.

A site that has content and is being updated develops its own community. We don't need to work on the community to have it develop.

#36 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:29 PM

That may apply to some people, but you can't deny that majority will just abuse the use of the programs. It's good and all that you are looking at the best of people, but face it, everyone is a douchebag deep down inside and some are just looking for a way to abuse the system.

#37 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:06 PM

That may apply to some people, but you can't deny that majority will just abuse the use of the programs. It's good and all that you are looking at the best of people, but face it, everyone is a douchebag deep down inside and some are just looking for a way to abuse the system.

We realize this.

#38 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:31 PM

Yeah, though I don't know if you've heard, but we're making loadable lists obsolete. :p People will be able to load them, but we're planning to just network this one. We have the items database reconstructed and the front-end is almost done. :p

Although that is great use of technology available AND revolutionary in the cheating scene, I see it hurting us as a site. I just don't think new people are going to use the forums. At all.

#39 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:50 PM

Although that is great use of technology available AND revolutionary in the cheating scene, I see it hurting us as a site. I just don't think new people are going to use the forums. At all.

But they will be using our programs, right? If so, mission accomplished. :D If they talk on the forums, that's a plus.

I'll tell you what will hurt us though. Doing nothing, and defecting to other sites like some other people have been doing.

#40 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2009 - 03:01 AM

There seems to be a lot of emphasis on getting people to post. I'm kind of surprised by some suggestions to purposely cripple programs to get people to come to the forums. This is the wrong way to look at things. If we make people happy, they will hold a good view of Neocodex. If we have a lot of problems, they may come to the forums once or twice, but eventually they will get tired of the problems.

Don't be evil :p .

A site that has content and is being updated develops its own community. We don't need to work on the community to have it develop.

You could also look at it the other way and say it's not about punishing new members who don't post but to reward the older members who have stuck with us for a long time. :/

Personally I'd be a supporter of reducing the post count necessary for advanced and having slightly differing versions of the big programs for each level. It can also help a lot with populating the database depending on how you do it.

#41 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2009 - 09:31 AM

After some deliberation, I think we might be able to afford including some easter eggs in the major programs for the higher ups. Just so long as these functions are actually being used, because presently, no one is wanting to climb the ranks just to use programs. :/

Also if we reduce the amount of posts to get Adv. Member, we run the risk of having a bunch of people spamming. It would have to be high enough so that they can't do it in a sitting, but not something that takes half a year to achieve. :p

#42 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:24 AM

After some deliberation, I think we might be able to afford including some easter eggs in the major programs for the higher ups. Just so long as these functions are actually being used, because presently, no one is wanting to climb the ranks just to use programs. :/

Also if we reduce the amount of posts to get Adv. Member, we run the risk of having a bunch of people spamming. It would have to be high enough so that they can't do it in a sitting, but not something that takes half a year to achieve. :p

If they spam just take 2 posts off them for every spam post. :p They'll soon learn that it's not worth it.

#43 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:28 PM

If they spam just take 2 posts off them for every spam post. :p They'll soon learn that it's not worth it.

That's more work for us and I'd rather concentrate my efforts on development rather than catching spammers :p.

#44 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 03:41 PM

But they will be using our programs, right? If so, mission accomplished. :D If they talk on the forums, that's a plus.

I'll tell you what will hurt us though. Doing nothing, and defecting to other sites like some other people have been doing.

Isn't it like over 9000 times better if they praise you while using the programs? Jokes. But seriously, if I had the ability to make programs like these, I would want it so atleast they are used by people who are much more deserving of it than random people who register just for the programs and ditch it. I understand your reasoning by saying no one really has the demands for the programs and such, but that's sort of expected. This site has evolved from a mainly neopets related forum board to just a general board. Obviously it's still focused on neopets, but people grew old of it because they matured from it or just found it started to suck (like myself).

#45 NinjaHax

NinjaHax
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:18 PM

Yay, I have 14480+ posts during this week, yay!

Hello Robert!

:( I feel I am in a disadvantage...

:drool: Maybe people like you are into hacking much more than you ever think! Omg I don't think my fingers will ever move again if I posted that much. :p

#46 Cyo

Cyo
  • Pauly D

• 2561 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2009 - 09:53 PM

I HAD TO POST 500 POSTS TO GET MAH FURST PARGRAMM NOW PPL DONT EVEN NEED 2 DO THAT WTF UNFAIR! *BAWW*

#47 Tailwind

Tailwind
  • Win points = 2,235,563

• 2576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:05 PM

Just a little note but I'd be using anything that Privates had access to.

I'm just restocking legitly, everything else is fair game to me. :p

#48 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:34 PM

I joined the site when there were no programs on the site. Nonetheless, I joined and started posting for the purpose of climbing the ranks. I wanted to make sure that if a program would be released, I would be there to use it. I made Advanced in a little over a month, so I think that it is at least POSSIBLE to make it within about a month...

But in all fairness, some may have considered SOME of my stuff spam... but I tried to remain in the constraints.

I'm all for additional features. That will add incentive for people to stay interested.

#49 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:40 AM

Erm Cyo, I probably haven't downloaded a program here since '05, and that easily was before advanced ever existed. If you took the time to actually read a post of mine, I mentioned that "I didn't care about the end result" and "my suggestions...", not exact quotes but ya.

#50 Azza277

Azza277
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:53 AM

Personally I think there should be a few programs that could be used by anyone, however, more programs available to the more commited members?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users