Want to program with us?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#26 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:01 PM

Do you have VNC or something? I'm willing to teach as well but I hate teaching over MSN or IRC as all I can do is type and not actually show. :p

VNC? :unsure:

EDIT: Is it something that allows you to take control of my computer?

#27 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:03 PM

VNC, Virtual Network Connection - Remote Desktop - the ability for someone to log onto you PC.

If you don't, SL --> use www.showmypc.com

#28 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:13 PM

VNC? :unsure:

EDIT: Is it something that allows you to take control of my computer?

Yes, and what Dan said. Supposedly this tool is good: http://www.showmypc.com/

--------
By the way, if I'm going to take my time to teach, I don't want people just running off after I've taught them things to go program elsewhere. :/ I'm teaching with the intent that it will help the site.

#29 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:18 PM

Yes, and what Dan said. Supposedly this tool is good: http://www.showmypc.com/

Got ShowMyPC installed...and it seems pretty simple to use.

I won't be programming for any site other than Codex....that's if I ever get to a stage where I can create something useful :p.

#30 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:31 PM

I think most of you guys are smart enough to read the tutorials to learn. If you have any questions, make sure to ask, but SL, we need to focus our efforts on creating new tools. No offense Oaken, but you are able to do this on your own :p.

We'll start a teaching program in the future though :).

#31 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:38 PM

It's not really a question of how smart you are. I just can't learn by reading :p . I have never sat down and revised for an exam by reading then gone on to do well in that exam. The only way I have ever passed an exam well is by doing practise papers....get questions wrong....then look for the correct answers and never get it wrong again.

Shame I only discovered I learned things best this way after college :p .

ShowMyPC uninstalled

#32 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:41 PM

Oaken - Programming is very global

If you want, similar to practice papers, I can set you a few tasks to create programs/apps that do X and you can show me your finished result with python

( I don't know python, but I can understand what it's doing and if there's a better way to do it, mainly from my C#/VB/ASP background )

#33 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:45 PM

Oaken - Programming is very global

If you want, similar to practice papers, I can set you a few tasks to create programs/apps that do X and you can show me your finished result with python

( I don't know python, but I can understand what it's doing and if there's a better way to do it, mainly from my C#/VB/ASP background )

I just found some exercises I'm going to look at but if they are too advanced then I'll take you up on that offer :). I'm hoping the little bit of Java I managed to teach myself last year will help me get started.

#34 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:47 PM

Gotcha. I'll add you on MSN and any questions you have I'll answer when I get a free second.

#35 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:44 PM

Laser, what is the best tutorial for php 5? I'll add a link to the original post.

I really have no idea lol, I mostly just use the documentation when I need any help. :/ Google is probably the best starting point though unless people want to find ebooks.

#36 shabba

shabba

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:04 PM

I really have no idea lol, I mostly just use the documentation when I need any help. :/ Google is probably the best starting point though unless people want to find ebooks.

I hear that! This is how I normally do it

CTRL + L function name php

Its never failed

#37 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:07 PM

I hear that! This is how I normally do it

CTRL + L function name php

Its never failed

In Crimson Editor I just press F1 on a word and it looks it up. :p

#38 Mialaca

Mialaca
  • 514 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:37 PM

As soon as I get my new laptop next month, I'll be learning Python (since I'll actually be able to run the compiling software. hahahaha) but at the same time, will also be getting to level 80 on WoW> :p

#39 Zeeknon

Zeeknon
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:20 PM

Which wrapper do you guys use when programming in Python?

#40 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:21 PM

Which wrapper do you guys use when programming in Python?

The one that I programmed and have sitting in the SVN right now, haha.

One of these days I'll release it, lol.

#41 Skyle

Skyle
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:08 AM

I've been trying to figure out how to create the GUI using wxDesigner...totally confused me now.

#42 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:13 AM

I've been trying to figure out how to create the GUI using wxDesigner...totally confused me now.

:rolleyes: :thumbsup: (not directed at you)

#43 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:13 AM

It's not exactly the way you do it in VB. I can show you sometime if you want, or I'll send you a wxDesigner file to open up and mess around with. :p Just PM me if you're interested.

#44 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:14 AM

Don't worry about the GUI stuff. Just get through those tutorials and make sure you understand them well :). That should be enough.

#45 Skyle

Skyle
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 05:19 AM

SL64 I am interested, although not sure if there is a lot of difference in terms of what you can do when using Python to VB.NET?

#46 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 July 2009 - 05:23 AM

SL64 I am interested, although not sure if there is a lot of difference in terms of what you can do when using Python to VB.NET?

The main differences are that Python is cross-platform (so we can provide for users of Mac and Linux as well as Windows) and Python seems to be a lot quicker and easier to write programs in. SL and Hydro will be able to go into more details on the differences since they do most of the Python stuff around here.

#47 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 July 2009 - 05:33 AM

The main differences are that Python is cross-platform (so we can provide for users of Mac and Linux as well as Windows) and Python seems to be a lot quicker and easier to write programs in. SL and Hydro will be able to go into more details on the differences since they do most of the Python stuff around here.

Python is no quicker than .NET developed apps - especially with LINQ now, we can do things hella fast in .NET.

How easy you find programming and developing is based on your intelligence, not on the language.

#48 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:10 AM

Python is no quicker than .NET developed apps - especially with LINQ now, we can do things hella fast in .NET.

How easy you find programming and developing is based on your intelligence, not on the language.

You're preaching to the choir. :p Python certainly isn't my language of choice and I would have no problem with us supporting programs made in any language but the admins want us to develop things for cross-platform where possible and to try to keep them consistent so people don't have to keep trying to find various runtime installation packages etc.

But I focus more on the webapps side for now (largely just providing advice for some of the client side ones) so it doesn't really affect me. :D

#49 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:39 AM

That's only partially true. Studies have shown that a programmer will produce the same number of lines per programming session regardless of the language they use. Therefore, if you want to get a lot of programming done, it's best to use a language with an efficient grammar than an unnecessarily verbose language.

#50 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:04 AM

I think I nailed the exam.... *crosses fingers*

As soon as I get my new laptop next month, I'll be learning Python (since I'll actually be able to run the compiling software. hahahaha) but at the same time, will also be getting to level 80 on WoW> :p

I'll sell you an 80 wearing t7.5+ gear for $100

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users