26 replies to this topic

#1 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:02 AM

Posted Image

Yahoo killed it :(

That was the begining for most people. Its how they started web design, or graphics design, or found a hack/cheat. Or even got scammed :p

Was the begining of ALOT of meme's, way before youtube.

Its sad its gone. The poor poor generation ahead of us, raised on stupid Twitter/Youtube/Myspace/Facebook. They dont gain any real skills :(

#2 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:05 AM

My first web design site was Homestead, but I quickly moved over to Geocities. End of an era man.

#3 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:11 AM

That comic was hilarious!

#4 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:54 AM

definitely an end of an era... I am also saddened to think of the new generation who is learning instead from the sites you mentioned.

Is it just me, or do social networking sites seem to inhibit actual social networking skills in humans? I can imagine that kids are going to grow so used to networking via the internet that true face to face networking and social skills will become a thing of the past.

And when it comes to coding, everyone is stuck with copy/pasta (of other peoples' inane layouts) instead of just doing it themselves. Shame, shame.

#5 KDawg08

KDawg08
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:08 AM

My first website was on geocities and it was originally for a game called Motor city Online created by EA... they shut down MCO for a stupid game called Sims Online... They ruined the most amazing racing online game EVER made over a stupid simulation of life for kids. lol...

#6 akira4444

akira4444
  • 215 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:40 AM

My very first website was on homestead/geocities as well, I had well over 150 pages of pure HTML coding before CSS kicked in, then I gave up :p Sad to see it go :(

#7 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:15 AM

My first web design site was Homestead, but I quickly moved over to Geocities. End of an era man.

Same here, that was a long time ago now...

Apparently the Internet Archive has backed up a lot of the geocities sites though so they aren't lost forever. ;)

#8 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:19 AM

Oh no, how will I find low quality MP3's if my reliable Geocities sites aren't around?

Dangit, random sites were my main source of Japanese music when I was younger, sucks to see it just die out like that.

#9 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:21 AM

My very first website was on homestead/geocities as well, I had well over 150 pages of pure HTML coding before CSS kicked in, then I gave up :p Sad to see it go :(

Wow, impressive. What happened when you wanted to add a new page link to every page? Edit them all? :o Old school :p.

Same here, that was a long time ago now...

Apparently the Internet Archive has backed up a lot of the geocities sites though so they aren't lost forever. ;)

Nice. I forgot my username so ... I think I'm out of luck here :/. Also, Geocities may have deleted my site earlier than this closure :p.

#10 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:36 AM

<homestead

#11 Token

Token
  • 576 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:14 AM

Wow. I totally forgot about Geocities... Until now. It just about brings a tear to my eye...

#12 Black Flame

Black Flame
  • 6063 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:00 AM

I thought it died about 3 years ago. :p

Indeed though, it was an internet landmark.

Edit after typo edit: Make retired edits invisible again pleeeeeease? :(

Edited by Black Flame, 28 October 2009 - 11:01 AM.

#13 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:06 AM

I thought it died about 3 years ago. :p

Indeed though, it was an internet landmark.

Edit after typo edit: Make retired edits invisible again pleeeeeease? :(

I thought I did <_<. One sec.

#14 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:32 AM

My first web pages were on tripod, geocities, and fortunecity. RIP geocities.. Definitely the end of an era.

#15 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:15 PM

Haha, I remember those old static HTML days, when a simple edit could take up to an hour editing every file :p

I'm close to 100% sure Geocities is what introduced me to the internet. Ah well, all good things must come to an end. Their own fault for not upgrading the service to be more competitive I guess.

#16 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:21 PM

Their own fault for not upgrading the service to be more competitive I guess.

This is pretty much the story of Yahoo! :/.

#17 powerman5000

powerman5000
  • 577 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:34 PM

Woah! Didn't know about this! I can't tell you how many site I made with Geocities, Homestead, and Tripod...the good 'ol days. I also can't tell you how many people me and a friend scammed into giving us they're Neo accounts with our super, magical Neopoints Generator! ;)

Ahhh, the days of Neopets chat, scamming, and no programs at all.

#18 sealonfire

sealonfire
  • 523 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 04:29 PM

Geocities, Homestead, and Tripod. I still remember them.

#19 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:42 AM

My first website was on geocities and it was originally for a game called Motor city Online created by EA... they shut down MCO for a stupid game called Sims Online... They ruined the most amazing racing online game EVER made over a stupid simulation of life for kids. lol...

Agreed. I loved MCO, was badass as fuck. I played until they shut it down. They need to re-make it with up to date graphics. Also not have a monthly fee for it.

Also, sad to see Geocities go. My first true site was on Geocities as well.

#20 Gnome

Gnome
  • Alpha As Fuck

• 1054 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:41 PM

Actually Sims online had a population of mostly adults. You know it's sad when a 13 year old (Me) is the richest and most profitable person in the game. I made alot of money from people with jobs and didn't want to actually spend time earning what they get. Love rich adults! Thanks for supporting me through life!

Back on Topic... Geocities was around for this long?!

#21 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:47 PM

Man I used geocities to host so much crap! Sooo sad to see it go :(
Yeah netbus man social networking on the net is just stealing peoples lives. I don't think too many people are making sites as much as they are making their myspace/facebook look cool

#22 saarth

saarth
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:30 AM

Wow, this is actually the end of an era. I remember back in 2004, I made my own site for a playstation game, full with guides and walkthroughs and cheats and stuff. Sad, too sad.

#23 Andy

Andy
  • 226 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:37 AM

Lol, bout freaking time, I hated Geocities, the ads were so intrusive. And 99.9% of the time the websites were made by someone with the design and html skills of a blind monkey. :p No offense to any blind monkeys out there of course.

But I guess now all those who used geocities can move on to an equally bad webhost, like webs.com (previously known as freewebs)

Well that's my rant Posted Image

#24 ((_Blade_))

((_Blade_))
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:03 AM

Wow, impressive. What happened when you wanted to add a new page link to every page? Edit them all? :o Old school :p.

IFRAMES FTW!
:D

#25 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:18 PM

Lol, bout freaking time, I hated Geocities, the ads were so intrusive. And 99.9% of the time the websites were made by someone with the design and html skills of a blind monkey. :p No offense to any blind monkeys out there of course.

But I guess now all those who used geocities can move on to an equally bad webhost, like webs.com (previously known as freewebs)

Well that's my rant Posted Image

You realize that this was how all the sexy graphic artists get started?

You start out bad, hosting shit on geocities, and then you get better and better and better.

Dont hate on geocities.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users