Maths is tough

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 sealonfire

sealonfire
  • 523 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:21 AM

Nuff said.

I spend half a day on Maths and still have no idea what I'm doing.

#2 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:50 AM

Yeah I agree with you, I can do algebra just fine and I can do geometry just fine. I struggled in Algebra 2 and when we got to Trig I was like...nope can't do this.
What math are you in?

#3 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:20 AM

Yeah I agree with you, I can do algebra just fine and I can do geometry just fine. I struggled in Algebra 2 and when we got to Trig I was like...nope can't do this.
What math are you in?

I'm having a difficult time figuring out if they mean Maths as "Mathematics" or "Maths Nightmare"...

I was going to wait for clarification before chipping in on the topic.

#4 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:25 AM

I'm having a difficult time figuring out if they mean Maths as "Mathematics" or "Maths Nightmare"...

I was going to wait for clarification before chipping in on the topic.

Oh, well I see some people say Mathematics as "maths" so I figured they were in the same boat as me. For the record both of them are hard for me xD.

#5 Georgina

Georgina
  • 2216 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:42 AM

I like basic maths!! lol :D

Na sceince is more my bag....and art....lol what a cop out!

If your finding stuff hard post on here and im sure youll get some help, theres lots of maths nuts on here :) good luck!

#6 Kyuu

Kyuu
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:55 AM

I think maths as in mathematics? I know in a lot of european countries, that's what they go by. Actually, I'm pretty sure that's what they call it pretty much everywhere except North America (...US specifically?)

Math isn't even hard until you get to calculus. ):

#7 saarth

saarth
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:00 AM

Yeah I had a test today on Matrices and Calculus. Aced the Matrices. I'm afraid I can't say the same about Calculus.

#8 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:17 AM

I think maths as in mathematics? I know in a lot of european countries, that's what they go by. Actually, I'm pretty sure that's what they call it pretty much everywhere except North America (...US specifically?)

Math isn't even hard until you get to calculus. ):

We call it "Math" here (Canada), so i guess it's not just the US. :p

And yeah, I agree, Math doesn't get difficult until calculus (or complex variable analysis). :p

#9 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:37 AM

We call it "Math" here (Canada), so i guess it's not just the US. :p

And yeah, I agree, Math doesn't get difficult until calculus (or complex variable analysis). :p

I thought you loved math?

And. Math is just an abbreviation.

This handy page will help us all with the silly british people!.

http://www.wikihow.c...d-British-Terms

maths - is the shortened mass noun for mathematics, or "math" in American English.

#10 saarth

saarth
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:38 AM

Are any of you guys doing the IB (International Baccalaureate) programme? The Math portfolios we have to do are really versatile. We can solve the questions given using any knowledge of math that we have.

#11 Qwerty54

Qwerty54
  • 221 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:58 AM

. We can solve the questions given using any knowledge of math that we have.

Any math that I remember, this has applied.

And I found math easy. I had to take Calc 1 and 2, and they were only slightly more difficult. The main thing with even calc is just not making stupid mistakes (once you know how to do the "steps" that is.) Most Frustrating part is if your off by a single digit somewhere in a problem taking up two pages of work, your answer can be very far off, and you'll usually not find where you made the mistake.

#12 Rebeca

Rebeca
  • 223 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:57 AM

I never had problems with math! :)
Matrices, Calculus and Spacial Geometry are a piece of cake for me ^^

#13 Token

Token
  • 576 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:33 AM

Math was pretty good for me, I aced all my classes. But firefighters don't need to do much high level math solving, so I have to take basic business mathematics class for college. :)

#14 Frank274

Frank274
  • 2051 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:51 AM

I missed my calc placement test by like 4%. So now I'm in 2 levels lower than what I should be. I want to kill the kids in that class :p

#15 saarth

saarth
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:18 AM

Calc is my ONLY issue. Everything else is pretty much ok. But for some reason my brain's just not cut out for calculus.

#16 Guest_MissMurder_*

Guest_MissMurder_*

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:46 AM

I feel your pain x]
Calc isn't hard tho, you just not studying/ being lazy! That's how it goes xD
Well.. it can be pretty challenging like the related rates and optimization but the rest is just tediously annoying computation that makes you want to shoot yourself c:

Ive had a hard time with calc too but only because I never studied everrrr! :l
Studying is borinng and yes... calc requires boring study u__u; lamesauce~

Edited by MissMurder, 05 November 2009 - 11:47 AM.

#17 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:21 PM

When I left school I left maths.

#18 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:21 PM

I love math. It only gets more fun the further you dive in. If you ever have questions, I'm sure I'll be able to help. I've taken my Math as far as my Undergrad Education can carry me, without delving into B.S. Mathematics only classes.

#19 Sinwin

Sinwin
  • 523 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:43 PM

i actually like the related rates... i hate the graphs especially derivative and 2nd derivative. i cannot tell them apart.

#20 Frank274

Frank274
  • 2051 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:54 PM

If it wasn't for my scholarship, I wouldn't even have to take math. I don't need it for my degree, but the Navy seems to think Officers should know calc :(

#21 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:09 PM

I thought you loved math?

And. Math is just an abbreviation.

Yes, I like Math. I would have to if I had any hope in enjoying my future career. What is the issue here? :p

... and very good! It is an abbreviation.

#22 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:37 PM

I love maths however it can be long and strung out at times. The calculus I've done so far (not much we just finished derivatives :p) was easy. Don't know what some of you are whining about :p

#23 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:35 PM

It gets challenging if you do extension two maths :p

But yea, for the most part calculus is easy.

#24 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:34 PM

It gets challenging if you do extension two maths :p

But yea, for the most part calculus is easy.

I'd say after that to be honest. The only difficulty I ever had with math (and by difficult I mean I didn't understand it after a day of reading the concept) was probably in Differential Equations with transformations. Laplace Transform can blow me.

#25 sealonfire

sealonfire
  • 523 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:05 AM

Calculus is tough imo when it gets to line/surface etc integrals. They look the same to me. It's really hard for me to picture the physical representations these topics and I ended up memorising.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users