Quantcast

Photo

Piracy debate?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Piracy

Is it wrong to download a game/song that you otherwise never would have wanted/used?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 mrPomroy

mrPomroy
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:09 PM

Is piracy wrong if you never would have bought the game/movie/song anyways?

#2 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:12 PM

Is it wrong that I played "Barbie's Fashion Adventure" for about 10 minutes for the lulz? I think not.

There are some things that must be experienced first hand to appreciate their awfulness. Such terrible products do not deserve your dollars for any reason.

#3 Frank274

Frank274
  • 2051 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:15 PM

If I find a new artist, I'll go download a shit ton of their songs, and if I like them, I'll keep them. The others I just delete :p

#4 mrPomroy

mrPomroy
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:41 PM

If I find a new artist, I'll go download a shit ton of their songs, and if I like them, I'll keep them. The others I just delete :p

xD You're missing the point...

The point is, the RIGHT thing (imamoo) to do is download, check it and if you like it support it by buying/otherwise contributing money to the cause... but what's YOUR belief.

:p Deleting/keeping their songs doesn't earn them any money.

#5 Frank274

Frank274
  • 2051 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:59 PM

xD You're missing the point...

The point is, the RIGHT thing (imamoo) to do is download, check it and if you like it support it by buying/otherwise contributing money to the cause... but what's YOUR belief.

:p Deleting/keeping their songs doesn't earn them any money.

There are some bands that are new or small or hardly known that their songs aren't availabe to download... I'll buy their CDs (done it for... about 4 bands as of now). If they are mainstream, I say fuck it and download anyway, because they're already getting money

#6 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:07 PM

There are some bands that are new or small or hardly known that their songs aren't availabe to download... I'll buy their CDs (done it for... about 4 bands as of now). If they are mainstream, I say fuck it and download anyway, because they're already getting money

Most of their money ends up coming from their contract. Artists see almost jack-shit of that revenue anyway. Getting signed is their pay day... you want to really support them? Go see them live or buy some merch. They'll love you more than if you bought their CD. Many artists are just glad that they get to share their vision of music with an audience. That's the REAL joy of making music.

#7 Frank274

Frank274
  • 2051 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:17 PM

Most of their money ends up coming from their contract. Artists see almost jack-shit of that revenue anyway. Getting signed is their pay day... you want to really support them? Go see them live or buy some merch. They'll love you more than if you bought their CD. Many artists are just glad that they get to share their vision of music with an audience. That's the REAL joy of making music.

I guess so. Though, the bands that I've bought haven't been signed. Or they were newly signed. I support the small bands :thumbsup:

#8 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:34 PM

I guess so. Though, the bands that I've bought haven't been signed. Or they were newly signed. I support the small bands :thumbsup:

Merch and concert tickets are still their big money makers. That's really the way to go for any band.

#9 mrPomroy

mrPomroy
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:38 PM

Too bad no bands come to Newfoundland ;o

Oh well. My saved money, not theirs =p

#10 Frank274

Frank274
  • 2051 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:38 PM

Merch and concert tickets are still their big money makers. That's really the way to go for any band.

I do the best I can. I can't really afford to drive across country to go see a band :p

#11 mrPomroy

mrPomroy
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:41 PM

I do the best I can. I can't really afford to drive across country to go see a band :p

Where are you located to that concerts aren't easily accessible to you?

#12 Frank274

Frank274
  • 2051 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:45 PM

Where are you located to that concerts aren't easily accessible to you?

As of currently, I'm in Norman, OK, which is 30 miles south of Oklahoma City. It's not that they aren't "accessible" to me, but a lot of the newer, smaller bands are "myspace bands" and they only play in their city, or ones that are nearby. Plus, being a poor college student, I don't really have money to buy tickets.

Though, I am pretty pissed about the fact that All That Remains and The Devil Wears Prada will be playing back home (which is Colorado Springs) for $20. WTF.

#13 mrPomroy

mrPomroy
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:52 PM

As of currently, I'm in Norman, OK, which is 30 miles south of Oklahoma City. It's not that they aren't "accessible" to me, but a lot of the newer, smaller bands are "myspace bands" and they only play in their city, or ones that are nearby. Plus, being a poor college student, I don't really have money to buy tickets.

Though, I am pretty pissed about the fact that All That Remains and The Devil Wears Prada will be playing back home (which is Colorado Springs) for $20. WTF.

Ah, indie/small bands can't be expected to tour all over the place really though I guess :p

#14 Frank274

Frank274
  • 2051 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:57 PM

Ah, indie/small bands can't be expected to tour all over the place really though I guess :p

Not until they get noticed. And they won't get noticed until they have money.

So I'll buy their CDs. See? :p

#15 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:12 PM

OR! You could comment their MySpace "I've been building up a group of locals who absolutely love your music! Make sure that you stop in "Podunk, OK" on your tour and we'll treat you right!

#16 Frank274

Frank274
  • 2051 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:27 PM

OR! You could comment their MySpace "I've been building up a group of locals who absolutely love your music! Make sure that you stop in "Podunk, OK" on your tour and we'll treat you right!

Haha! We could... I shall see.

#17 mrPomroy

mrPomroy
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:35 PM

This makes sense.

We can use it to make some sense and sell it to people that don't have any of their own :o

#18 Georgina

Georgina
  • 2216 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:52 PM

Is it wrong that I played "Barbie's Fashion Adventure" for about 10 minutes for the lulz? I think not.

Firstly - yes that is wrong.

Secondly my answer is no to the topic question, if you werent going to spend money on it then thats fine, there not loosing anything, but to honest i dont download stuff i dont want to listen to so its kinda an odd question.

Piracy in general i can admit is kinda wrong, but again only to the people who it would actuly have some effect on, the smaller bands, those who need those few extra sales rather than the multimillion pound sellers. But then again if i listen to something online it most likley will make me reccomend it to a reasonable amount of friends, of which one atleast would probably go out and spend money on a CD or whatever and who wouldnt have normaly botherd to buy it and thus restoring the balance.

#19 sealonfire

sealonfire
  • 523 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:24 PM

I don't feel so. Either way, if downloading is not avaliable, I wouldn't get it anyway.

But if I really like what I've downloaded(like music), I'll buy it.

#20 Frank274

Frank274
  • 2051 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:49 PM

my campus is trying to crack down on piracy... like, we have to register our computers to use the wifi here on campus... and I guess this way they can track us to see if we are downloading music. If we are caught, we gotta pay the fines :(

#21 BellaBleu

BellaBleu
  • 501 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:11 PM

my campus is trying to crack down on piracy... like, we have to register our computers to use the wifi here on campus... and I guess this way they can track us to see if we are downloading music. If we are caught, we gotta pay the fines :(

Same except that we are not at that tough of stage yet...we only get screwed if they find out we are all of sudden using a lot of bandwidth (torrents)

#22 Eliam

Eliam
  • 621 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:30 PM

Asking a community of mostly high school and college aged people who cheat on a game site... :)

I use a try before I buy model. If I hate something, eh, no loss to the people anyway and I delete it. If I like it, I know and will buy it. When was the last time you discovered an awesome movie or book or whatever from buying it before seeing/reading it?

#23 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:34 PM

Asking a community of mostly high school and college aged people who cheat on a game site... :)

I use a try before I buy model. If I hate something, eh, no loss to the people anyway and I delete it. If I like it, I know and will buy it. When was the last time you discovered an awesome movie or book or whatever from buying it before seeing/reading it?

I saw the X-Men workprint before it came out. I still went and saw it in theaters. Try before you buy is a smart business model unless your product sucks.

#24 meloisthemvp

meloisthemvp
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:14 PM

Nah, it feels deliciously right to be getting all that free music...

#25 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:35 PM

You guys are going to make Lars Ulrich, sworn enemy of the internets, have an aneurysm.

I don't want to pay for anything. So piracy gets a thumbs up from me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users