Photo

Firefox 3.7 GPU Accleration

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 Bahbuu

Bahbuu
  • 2028 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:50 PM

I would love chrome. But I get so many damn issues with it :(.

I have to use the beta because I'm not using a browser without Adblock...So, I cant click compose mail in gmail, playlists wont play in youtube. I cant stream videos from my favorite site because its in iframe.

ooo.. hmm.. I'm using the beta too (4.0.249.43) with the adblock thing installed (AdThwart?) and everything seems to be working for me (apart from the video site you were talking about using iframe -- don't know it and didn't try it).

I just made Google Chrome as my default browser too =| , I feel like I betrayed firefox... since I've been using firefox for... the past... 4~5 years O_o
unless they do something about they bulkiness...

#27 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:24 AM

ooo.. hmm.. I'm using the beta too (4.0.249.43) with the adblock thing installed (AdThwart?) and everything seems to be working for me (apart from the video site you were talking about using iframe -- don't know it and didn't try it).

I just made Google Chrome as my default browser too =| , I feel like I betrayed firefox... since I've been using firefox for... the past... 4~5 years O_o
unless they do something about they bulkiness...

Yeah. I do wish they would do something about the bulkiness. They always claim its the fastest ever, but its donest compete with firefox 2

#28 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:10 PM

FF2 had a huge memory leaks though I thought.

#29 Vexage

Vexage
  • 191 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:44 PM

Just an update. Flash player 10.1 (Beta) now has support for GPU Acceleration, if anyone wants to try this out. See if neopets games play better for you :p.

http://labs.adobe.co.../flashplayer10/

This is fantastic.

#30 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:44 PM

FF2 had a huge memory leaks though I thought.

Um. None that I ever noticed. Started at 15k (Same as chrome), and never got over 120k... :(

#31 vendetta.inc

vendetta.inc
  • 214 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:43 AM

Mmm, this will be ultra sexy once all of the addons and extensions are worked in to 3.7. Can't wait.

#32 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:33 PM

Mmm, this will be ultra sexy once all of the addons and extensions are worked in to 3.7. Can't wait.

They already do. You just have to install the nightly testing tools

I know of a program that blocks ads on all browsers. It's called admuncher. I can give you a link to it if you pm me :)

#33 unworthy

unworthy
  • 602 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:16 PM

This might be a dumb question but i'm not completely computer savvy. Would the gpu acceleration really help a netbook run them better. The computer is only 1.6Ghz, I do not believe it is true 1.6, 1 gig of ram and a really bad onboard graphics card. I was wondering if this is even worth downloading for this computer.

#34 vendetta.inc

vendetta.inc
  • 214 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 03:09 PM

They already do. You just have to install the nightly testing tools

I know of a program that blocks ads on all browsers. It's called admuncher. I can give you a link to it if you pm me :)

Oh really? Sweet - I'll have to go download it now then.

#35 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:29 PM

This might be a dumb question but i'm not completely computer savvy. Would the gpu acceleration really help a netbook run them better. The computer is only 1.6Ghz, I do not believe it is true 1.6, 1 gig of ram and a really bad onboard graphics card. I was wondering if this is even worth downloading for this computer.

Yes it significantly would. In implemented correctly, part of the rendering data (The complex things) would be sent to you cpu, since it handles complex work alot better, and the simpler repetitive things (Like graphics rendering of images) would be sent to the GPU.

What these means, is that their is no bottleneck (Think of a soda bottle, and how there is a small tiny hole for all of the liquid to get out. That means its limited on how fast it comes out). Without a bottleneck, all data is processed and loaded up fast and smooth.

This is all given if its implemented correctly :p. I would love to see microsoft implement system wide GPU acceleration, like they do with multicore support. (Aka. Splits data sent to the cpu automatically between GPU and CPU. So all of your programs ever will load faster)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users