Quantcast

Photo

What do you think about the new Disney Princess movie?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 SillyInsaneLittleGirl

SillyInsaneLittleGirl
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:43 PM

I'm kinda curious and sort of want to watch it... what does everyone else think?

#2 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:58 PM

Is this the Princess and the Frog movie? I'm glad they are going back to their old animation style. I love Disney movies and this one looks good :p. We'll see how it is :p.

#3 BellaBleu

BellaBleu
  • 501 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:59 PM

I just think they are running out of ideas...but it does seem a little interesting though

#4 Ellcrys

Ellcrys
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:01 PM

Ill probably see every disney movie that comes out, because my girlfriend loves them! But this one does look pretty good.

#5 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:09 PM

I'm looking at it... I laughed the first time I saw it. Disney finally decides to return to their old animation style, and they're using it to make a "racially sensitive" film. Good times.

#6 Jweave

Jweave
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:09 PM

"OMG, First Black Princess."

That about sums up my thoughts on the new movie.

Honestly I don't really have any particular desire to go out watch it. I probably won't see it unless I find a few friends who actually want to see it.

#7 SillyInsaneLittleGirl

SillyInsaneLittleGirl
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:01 PM

Lol. "first black princess" i don't think it's that big of a deal really -.-

#8 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:01 PM

The controversy is so retarded... does it really matter if it's a black princess or not? Look at Aladdin..

#9 Token

Token
  • 576 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:36 PM

"OMG, First Black Princess."

That about sums up my thoughts on the new movie.

Honestly I don't really have any particular desire to go out watch it. I probably won't see it unless I find a few friends who actually want to see it.

Ummm.... Jasmine from Aladdin wasn't technically black, but she was ethnically diverse.

#10 madelined

madelined
  • 234 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:39 PM

i live in california and i used to work at disneyland....

The only reason this movie was created was because people complained about their not being a black princess so disney had to come up with a whole new movie just to make one.

Personally i don't think it's going to be all that great.

#11 kbbbb

kbbbb
  • 329 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:53 PM

So that's why that nobody keeps appearing on the princess promo material...

Ugh...disney can't just churn out some "princess" and then lump her in with the ones that they created during their glory days. I don't see them spruiking Mulan or Pocahantas anymore...isn't that racist? Where's the Chinese and Native American representation? And where's Lilo? She's Hawaiian. Disney do have a Muslim (Jasmine) in the top five, although she wouldn't be welcomed too well by her community for the way she dresses.

All disney do these days is churn out 3D sappy crap. The 2D stuff was far better.

Edited by kbbbb, 02 December 2009 - 06:53 PM.

#12 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:56 PM

She's black, so what?

#13 SillyInsaneLittleGirl

SillyInsaneLittleGirl
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:09 PM

but thing is ... was there really any complaint that there was "no black princesses" ? i mean... really the only actual ethnic princess before tiana was jasmine... <_<

#14 kbbbb

kbbbb
  • 329 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:21 PM

Actually, there was Mulan and Pocahauntas. I don't seriously care if she's black, or eastern european, or African, or Icelandic, or spanish...I care that Disney think that everyone's going to automatically associate her with a group that have built in their prestige over 80 years, that were from awesome films that made huge profits and won loads of awards.

#15 SillyInsaneLittleGirl

SillyInsaneLittleGirl
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:11 PM

well mulan was neither a princess to start off with and she didnt get married to a prince so technically mulan isn't a princess...
did native americans consider the chief daughter as a princess? that's probably debatable...

#16 madelined

madelined
  • 234 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:11 PM

but thing is ... was there really any complaint that there was "no black princesses" ? i mean... really the only actual ethnic princess before tiana was jasmine... <_<

Yes there was.. Having worked in the park, you'd be suprised how many black families would come and then not buy their daughters any princess stuff while saying very loudly in the stores that the reason they wouldn't is because there was no black princess.....

You could hear comments like this during parades.. During shows.. During rush shopping hours.. No other race used to complain but black people for some reason would take it as disney being racist for not having a black princess..

They started discussing bringing one in 3 years ago and now out pops a movie? It's easy to see what happened.

And now there is a black princess roaming the park too...so they can stop complaining.

#17 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:12 AM

I know she wasn't black. She was middle eastern

#18 kbbbb

kbbbb
  • 329 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:51 AM

...you'd be suprised how many black families would come and then not buy their daughters any princess stuff while saying very loudly in the stores that the reason they wouldn't is because there was no black princess... No other race used to complain but black people for some reason would take it as Disney being racist for not having a black princess..

You know, this doesn't surprise me.

Attached File  jynxcompared_600.jpg   42.79KB   5 downloads
Back a few years there was Pokemon #127 called Jynx. Anyway, Carole Boston, an African American, accused a Japanese company who have little to no contact with America in their daily lives or culture, of creating a Pokemon with an offensive stereotype of African Americans. Really, it was a parody of the Gangulo (sp?) young-japanese-girl-bleached-hair-blackened-skin fad that was more of an early 1990's phenomenon. So they changed its face to purple from black. 1UP later criticized Jynx as a 'blackface'; I don't think the Japanese intended any offense and for Americans to continue to harp on about a Japanese game created for Japanese is weak, when the company already issued a statement and altered the character due to the initial complaint.

On the flip side, when something is racist and openly intended to be, toward African Americans, then sure they have a right of complaint. But I for one hate when political correctness like the above pushes things too far.

Disney is not just an American corporation; considering their push into China, their Euro Disney in France, the Disney Land in Hong Kong, and the new one in Beijing. If they're really interested in the Chinese market, I should have expected they elevate Mulan before they create another character relevant to America. I wonder how much it is in their goals to truly become a global brand when they continue to hold focus on their local market.

#19 unigirl

unigirl
  • 513 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:54 AM

Is this the Princess and the Frog movie? I'm glad they are going back to their old animation style. I love Disney movies and this one looks good :p. We'll see how it is :p.

agree

#20 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:56 AM

RE: Above post

Ganguro Girls!

Spoiler

/hijack

#21 BellaBleu

BellaBleu
  • 501 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:59 AM

RE: Above post

Ganguro Girls!

Spoiler

/hijack

Wow, that looks very artificial...almost inhuman...

#22 Georgina

Georgina
  • 2216 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:09 AM

Some people i know look like that girl when they go on a night out in swansea jcr...lmao

Anywho!

I can kinda see the big (ish) deal over this.

As a little girl (previously) I remember loving princesses, and all my friends would have a favorite, and you could buy the outfits and dress like your favorite blah blah blah, but they were all white.

I don't think black girls cared to be honest but it would certainly appeal to many little kids now they have a black princess to dress up as/pretend to be etc.

At the end of the day its cute to see kids admiring somebody who isn't a bad influence so thumbs up from me for the new film! Although I doubt ill want to go see it....

#23 kadoatie

kadoatie
  • 284 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:45 PM

i live in california and i used to work at disneyland....

The only reason this movie was created was because people complained about their not being a black princess so disney had to come up with a whole new movie just to make one.

Personally i don't think it's going to be all that great.

That sure doesn't surprise me, hahaha.

And I'm not planning to watch this.

#24 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:06 PM

The princess is black? O_o
The indian one was hawt. I'd tap it.

#25 Elindoril

Elindoril