28 replies to this topic

#1 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:13 PM

Go here: http://www.amazon.co...ent/signup/info

Basically Amazon Prime is a service that costs $79 a year. It upgrades your shipping on all orders to free 2 day shipping or pay $3.99 for 1 day shipping and you get a year free for being a student. You need a .edu email address.

To sign up for and use Amazon Student, you must (1) have an Amazon.com account, (2) be a college student actively enrolled in at least one course at a college geographically located in one of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia, (3) be able to provide proof of enrollment upon request and (4) have a valid e-mail address that contains the domain suffix .edu.

Edit: 12/26/2011
When your year expires you can renew it for $40 a year up to the next 4 years.

#2 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:22 PM

I'm not an Amerifag. :( I had my hopes up until I read the subtitle. <_<

#3 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:29 PM

I win.

#4 aweroij

aweroij
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:44 PM

Make sure you go into your account settings and turn off automatic renewal of Prime. I went for one of those free one month Prime things and got billed for a year of Prime after it ended. :(

#5 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:42 PM

sweet i signed up for this

#6 Guest_jcrgirl_*

Guest_jcrgirl_*

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:51 PM

Make sure you go into your account settings and turn off automatic renewal of Prime. I went for one of those free one month Prime things and got billed for a year of Prime after it ended. :(

+1 for this because fuck Amazon and their sneaky ways of luring in us poor college kids when we forget after a year we're still signed up with this shit. Posted Image

#7 Supernature

Supernature
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:54 PM

Thanks! How does one turn off the automatic re-billing? I can't find it anywhere on their website.

Edit: It's been found
http://www.amazon.co...200444180#renew

It won't let me auto-renewal yet.. Hmm. I'll have to remember for the future.

Edited by Supernature, 12 July 2010 - 03:59 PM.

#8 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:42 PM

https://www.amazon.c...ocId=1000522721

Membership Benefits If you sign up for an Amazon Student membership, for the first year of that membership, you will receive one free year of Amazon Prime. We may choose to extend this free offer for more than one year. With Amazon Prime, you will be entitled to FREE Two-Day shipping and $3.99 per unit One-Day shipping on all eligible purchases for one year. The automatic renewal provisions in the Amazon Prime Terms & Conditions (which would require you to pay for Amazon Prime) do not apply to this membership, even if we decide to extend the free Amazon Prime offer beyond one year. There is no minimum purchase requirement. Amazon Student members will also be entitled to discounts and promotions, which we will communicate to you via e-mail or make available on the Amazon Student membership page at www.amazon.com/student.

#9 manophear

manophear
  • 402 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:03 PM

This, pretty much (though I already knew beforehand and was just coming in to say that bah too bad it's U.S. only).

#10 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:47 PM

I'm so insulted by this title, that I'm calling for you to be banned. I'm pretty sure the Society for the Advancement and Progression of American Values has my back on this case...

#11 AliceFi

AliceFi
  • 474 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:46 PM

second that!
why is it only for american students??

#12 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:49 PM

second that!
why is it only for american students??

We are just too damn cool.
Posted Image

#13 Stryker11487

Stryker11487
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:54 PM

Posted Image

Hahahahaha <3

#14 Antivenin

Antivenin
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:57 AM

This sounds good. Is Amazon a good source for used textbooks? (I'm an engineering student) Or would you guys recommend some other site?

#15 aweroij

aweroij
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:56 AM

This sounds good. Is Amazon a good source for used textbooks? (I'm an engineering student) Or would you guys recommend some other site?

Prime is limited to certain products sold by Amazon.com (or third-party merchants participating in the Fulfillment by Amazon program) on www.amazon.com that are shipped to continental United States addresses, excluding Alaska, Hawaii, P.O. boxes, APO/FPO and U.S. territories, possessions and protectorates.

Amazon doesn't sell used books and although I've seen a few 3rd-party companies selling products that are eligible for Prime those are usually big businesses. Most 3rd-party sellers of used books are small online shops.

So probably no.

I stopped buying textbooks. They're expensive, boring, repetitive of the material in lectures, etc. If I must I'll find a PDF version of the textbook. I'm not suggesting you do the same, but just laying it out there.

#16 AliceFi

AliceFi
  • 474 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:17 AM

Posted Image

maybe cuz you need it more *muha* ^^

#17 Eliam

Eliam
  • 621 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:36 AM

This is awesome and I never would have caught it, THANK YOU.

#18 CyberMew

CyberMew
  • 183 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:13 AM

thanks, would be useful if i ever get my hands on a edu webmail

#19 Antivenin

Antivenin
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:25 AM

Odd. No way to turn off auto renewal.

#20 aweroij

aweroij
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:08 AM

Odd. No way to turn off auto renewal.

There is apparently no auto renewal for student membership.

https://www.amazon.c...ocId=1000522721

Membership Benefits If you sign up for an Amazon Student membership, for the first year of that membership, you will receive one free year of Amazon Prime. We may choose to extend this free offer for more than one year. With Amazon Prime, you will be entitled to FREE Two-Day shipping and $3.99 per unit One-Day shipping on all eligible purchases for one year. The automatic renewal provisions in the Amazon Prime Terms & Conditions (which would require you to pay for Amazon Prime) do not apply to this membership, even if we decide to extend the free Amazon Prime offer beyond one year. There is no minimum purchase requirement. Amazon Student members will also be entitled to discounts and promotions, which we will communicate to you via e-mail or make available on the Amazon Student membership page at www.amazon.com/student.

#21 Antivenin

Antivenin
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:17 AM

\o/

That's a relief. Thanks aweroij.

#22 Redemptionist

Redemptionist
  • 382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:19 AM

Too bad im not a college student yet :crybaby:

#23 Nonygirl

Nonygirl
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:33 PM

Awesome. Signed up and already ordered a new headset for free 2 day shipping :)

Needed one.. I have to replace mine every 2 months or so; the same model is great but the cord wears out eventually, and I don't know which expensive models last and have the same quality of voice chat.:lookaround:

#24 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:08 PM

Bumping to say that this is still active and when your year expires, you can renew it for up to 4 more years at $40 a year.

Also their customer service is one of the best I have ever seen. I got this message when I requested a refund on a defective DVI cable.

Keep this item and receive a refund!
We've got you covered! There's no need to return the item to receive your refund.

#25 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:45 AM

Amazon prime has saved me so much money this year... I've ordered at least 30 packages this year and the free two day shipping is very nice! Free for students is even better! :p My student 1 year expires soon, but at $40/year, I'll be renewing for sure.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users