Quantcast

Photo

best one for someone just getting into programming?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 st33v

st33v
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:31 PM

i used to mess around with vb6 like 3 years ago.
i made like a single link refresher and a dailies doer.
but that was a while ago so basically brand new.

i was wondering which one should i start up with vb6, vb.net or python

python i have never even messed with and never even heard of it until i came here to nc, but i was looking up some stuff on it and it looks cool, i just dont know how hard it is to get the hang of it.

it might help your decision to know that i am on a netbook, its a decent one though i keep all my neopets crap on it.

Edited by z0mBiE, 14 July 2010 - 09:33 PM.

#2 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:48 PM

VB.net is a little more modern than VB6 and will probably be more useful for "other things". :p You could also learn Python if you wanted to, since it's also a simple straightforward language to learn. The problem is, designing GUIs in Python isn't as easy as it is in VB6 since it's cross-platform. So I'd start with VB.net.

Personally I started with VB6, then switched to Python and never learned VB.net. :p But since I know Python I don't need VB.net for anything. :p

#3 st33v

st33v
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:54 PM

VB.net is a little more modern than VB6 and will probably be more useful for "other things". :p You could also learn Python if you wanted to, since it's also a simple straightforward language to learn. The problem is, designing GUIs in Python isn't as easy as it is in VB6 since it's cross-platform. So I'd start with VB.net.

Personally I started with VB6, then switched to Python and never learned VB.net. :p But since I know Python I don't need VB.net for anything. :p

alright thanks =)

i was kinda leaning toward vb.net anyways since its not very big and i can put it on a netbook with no problems

i was also thinking about java but i heard its very complicated to use.

#4 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:26 PM

alright thanks =)

i was kinda leaning toward vb.net anyways since its not very big and i can put it on a netbook with no problems

i was also thinking about java but i heard its very complicated to use.

If size is a problem try Python since it's a scripting language and doesn't take up much space at all. VB.NET is a decent choice for a programming language because if you master one .NET language it's very easy to learn the rest of them as all you have to really concentrate on is the syntax there are some exceptions to this of course (Like VB.NET cannot handle pointers to my knowledge so that's something C# should have that VB doesn't). Java I have personally found to be quite easy to use however it is very easily reverse engineered.

EDIT; Whatever you do - do not go vb6, it's had it's day and is inferior to Python or .NET languages.

#5 hav0k

hav0k
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:15 PM

C#!!!

#6 Supernature

Supernature
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:49 AM

Even though I hate my class with a passion, C++ might be good for learning how to use algorithms and whatnot.

#7 Abrar

Abrar
  • 157 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:49 PM

C++ is definitely not a good first language to start with. Sure, once you're experienced, C++ is the language of choice, but for now, Python is the way to go. I would've recommended Turing, but it's time is sadly over :(

Edit: Or atleast I personally feel like its time is over...

Edited by abrar13, 14 August 2010 - 02:25 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users