• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:11 AM

Site Moved to New Server (Phase 1)

Sorry for the downtime everyone. Neocodex has now moved to a new server, which will be hopefully a lot faster (and have more features) than the one we were on. The old server we found was slow at times and didn't allow us to add extra software to the server which would have benefited the community. We're impressed with the new server though -- it has a lot of features that we didn't even know it had!

Programs should be running fine again, and the Items Database is accessible but still is displaying old data (until we can get to Phase 2). NeoAlerts, NeoLogs, Pet Sim, and AvatarLog are down temporarily but will come up in the next day or so as we fix up the way we handle installing new services here. :p

Features we like: Better e-mail handling, Git repositories, the ability to install packages like Sphinx search (which will speed up our forum searching so very much), Django (a Python web development framework), and RRDTool for data collection.

Phase 2 will take place tomorrow hopefully, where we incorporate caching into our update and request scripts for the Items Database so that you guys aren't bombarding the database with traffic all the time. :p The frontend will also be updated at the same time, so you'll see all of the new data that we've been collecting over the last month, and everything will be caught up and back to normal. In the meantime, try not to boot up the programs too much. :p

#2 Kway

Kway
  • Proud to be a Brony

• 1242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:16 AM

Woot! I can't wait and so happy the admins (ShadowLink64, Hydro, etc.) are working hard.

Keep up the good work

#3 kevin11022

kevin11022
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:19 AM

wow
to my surpise
it only take a few hours
i think it will take all day haha
so lucky and happy

#4 Kuraz

Kuraz
  • 546 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:22 AM

you guys are real quick:rolleyes:
hope to see the Item DB back in work again... I lost touch of the items there.:p

#5 Ambition

Ambition
  • 558 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:33 AM

That was fast.

#6 tb20

tb20
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:02 AM

Fast transfer, keep up the good work :)

Edited by tb20, 18 July 2010 - 01:22 AM.

#7 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:17 AM

I've also converted most of our tables to the InnoDB storage engine as it supports row-level locking. That should make page loads a bit faster as a query won't lock the entire table as it does with MyISAM causing other queries to wait until the lock is released.

I'm going to work on creating some graphs so we can see our page load times and other metrics over time. It will be good to have those graphs and see whether our changes are helping.

#8 AliceFi

AliceFi
  • 474 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:35 AM

hey, neat ^^
i'm glad the database will be fully up again soon, but take your time please! we can wait :)
it's great to read that everything will be faster now

hey, neat ^^
i'm glad the database will be fully up again soon, but take your time please! we can wait :)

hey, neat ^^

#9 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:40 AM

The shit is up with all these internal server errors?!

#10 Casilla

Casilla
  • 114 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:00 AM

Long night I see. Go to bed and deal with it in the morning, eh? :p

#11 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:32 AM

Well it seems quite a bit quicker to me than the old one and the board search works a lot quicker too so I guess hostgator just sucks a bit now. :/

And woot for the database information coming back, it'll be interesting to see if we have many more active users than a month or so ago. :p

#12 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:29 AM

Great work guys, keep up the good work!

#13 Lychee

Lychee
  • 633 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:04 AM

I'm seriously impressed at how quickly you've identified the problem and set to work on fixing it. That's awesome.

In regards to program use, how much should we try to cut back by? Sorry if this is a dumb question; this is all pretty alien to me but I don't want to be hampering your work.

#14 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:18 AM

I'm seriously impressed at how quickly you've identified the problem and set to work on fixing it. That's awesome.

In regards to program use, how much should we try to cut back by? Sorry if this is a dumb question; this is all pretty alien to me but I don't want to be hampering your work.

SL was just joking :p. Use the programs as you want. It's our job to figure out how to scale :p.

#15 stellanox

stellanox
  • 440 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:48 AM

Great job :) It still gives me 500 internal error sometimes when I'm surfing the forum but the item database seems fine ;)

#16 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:58 AM

Great job :) It still gives me 500 internal error sometimes when I'm surfing the forum but the item database seems fine ;)

Yeah, I'm not sure wtf is up with that, but we'll have it fixed soon :).

#17 munie

munie
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:48 AM

I love you guys :D

#18 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:53 AM

Testing emoticons

:p :) :( :devil: :ninja: :drool: :angry: :pirate1: <_< :crybaby: :thumbsup:

Looks good.

#19 Lychee

Lychee
  • 633 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:55 AM

SL was just joking :p. Use the programs as you want. It's our job to figure out how to scale :p.

Oops! Well, that's a relief. Thanks!

#20 Fallon

Fallon
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:06 AM

Thanks for the heads up and for all your hard work.

#21 Powerrrr

Powerrrr
  • 955 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:08 AM

Finally the DNS propagated. Good job :thumbsup:

#22 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:09 PM

Yarrr.

Thar be booty a plenty round these parts. I don't really give a damn about how the database is stored. I mean it's cool that it'll be faster and more efficient, but I don't really use it. Myself, I'm just happy that we can pillage and plunder again me hearties.

#23 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:52 PM

awesome, :D Which hopefully means I can do faerie quests thuper thuper easily again :p

#24 pabs123

pabs123
  • 498 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:41 PM

incredible speed :D can't wait for the database to be live :D keep up the goood work and i might send you guys a cookie ;)

#25 AliceFi

AliceFi
  • 474 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:15 PM

incredible speed :D can't wait for the database to be live :D keep up the goood work and i might send you guys a cookie ;)

like a real one or a virtual one? :p
srry bad joke ^^

srry for the triple post above, i refreshed the page when i saw the internal server error...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users