Photo

SC2

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#26 emerkeng

emerkeng
  • 561 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:18 AM

you're korean, ill take your word for it :D one of my korean friends is really into sc, he even made a bracelet with the letters WWJD (what would jaedong do) on it

Are you sure it didn't mean What Would Jesus Do ? ? ? . . .

#27 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:53 AM

Lol . . . why would I take pics of a game? I'm not obsessed with games as you probably are considering how offended you sound O.O. Anyways it's not hard to play Starcraft professionally there was a time that you could easily get into a local, province, or national level tournament. You're probably thinking of guys like Lim Yo Hwan and Jaedong when you think of "pro gamers" but there are plenty of A/B level gamers that have never played tournaments like the MSL and OGM. In fact there was a commentator of the 2009 or 2008 MSL (don't exactly remember what tournament it was actually *facepalm*) who was in the A range and he never competed in any major tournaments such as GOM or MSL at least that's what I've heard. Anyways I'm Korean so I guess it's in my blood haha?

ICCUP tends to be universally recognized for Starcraft gaming but Hamachi is pretty good too =). If i get my skills up to par let's play =). The WCG is pretty well run tournament I'm surprised you've even made it past the qualifiers good job =). Sucks that you've stopped playing professionally but Pro gaming isn't really a lucrative field (unless you're one of the best for your game). I wish I had the chance to get into a high level tournament like the WCG =(. I was a student when I played Starcraft at a high level so the majority of my games were just ICCUP ladder games I've also played a few local/national level tournaments though . . .

Anyways Iargue is right in this case and you don't know how good I am until you play me. Once I get another copy of the game let's play.

Edit: Oops supposedly the commentator took 3rd place in a WCG.

Games are purely for amusement for me. so whenever I play, I dont want it to be all about beating someone else, because there isnt much fun in losing. :p. Its also to stressful. Most people who play in the pro league are on stress reliever medication. Flash has a particularly big problem with that. He hasn't lost a practice game in forever, but he loses pro games because of his nerves.

#28 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:19 AM

Are you sure it didn't mean What Would Jesus Do ? ? ? . . .

thats what i thought at first too, but my friend was like "noo, the 'J' stands for jaedong....LEEE JAEEEDOONGG"

#29 emerkeng

emerkeng
  • 561 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:44 AM

Games are purely for amusement for me. so whenever I play, I dont want it to be all about beating someone else, because there isnt much fun in losing. :p. Its also to stressful. Most people who play in the pro league are on stress reliever medication. Flash has a particularly big problem with that. He hasn't lost a practice game in forever, but he loses pro games because of his nerves.

Are you sure it's not just because Flash's style has been figured out? The way Effort tore through Flash was unreal . . . Btw how do you think the Starcraft scene in Korea will change with the release of Starcraft 2?

Edited by pathentic, 04 August 2010 - 10:44 AM.

#30 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:36 PM

Are you sure it's not just because Flash's style has been figured out? The way Effort tore through Flash was unreal . . . Btw how do you think the Starcraft scene in Korea will change with the release of Starcraft 2?

Flash crushed Effort two days before that in a practice game. Flash has an advantage over everyone who plays because his macro and micro are better. Its unreal had well he can produce troops and manage them. When his game is off, he failed at one key point and ruins that advantage.

Yes. He will need to keep changing his strategies, but hes always faced nervous issues. Read interviews about them, he talks about how bad he is. Watch practice games that he plays in his house, or against other people. Flash truly deserves to be Number 1, above boxer and everyone.

Effort has nothing on Flash, as you will see in the future. If you watch his game style, he doesnt do super special strategies. He just does everything better. (His super sexy marine macro is just devastating). If you watch the games that give you mineral count, you will see how he never has minerals sitting, wereas his opponent will. He just does things better. Its sad to see him lose, but they are always good games.

Hundreds of times, I've been like, "push out now. Do this. Do that" but he does it differently, and pulls the win out after defending against something I did not see coming.

#31 emerkeng

emerkeng
  • 561 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:58 PM

Flash crushed Effort two days before that in a practice game. Flash has an advantage over everyone who plays because his macro and micro are better. Its unreal had well he can produce troops and manage them. When his game is off, he failed at one key point and ruins that advantage.

Yes. He will need to keep changing his strategies, but hes always faced nervous issues. Read interviews about them, he talks about how bad he is. Watch practice games that he plays in his house, or against other people. Flash truly deserves to be Number 1, above boxer and everyone.

Effort has nothing on Flash, as you will see in the future. If you watch his game style, he doesnt do super special strategies. He just does everything better. (His super sexy marine macro is just devastating). If you watch the games that give you mineral count, you will see how he never has minerals sitting, wereas his opponent will. He just does things better. Its sad to see him lose, but they are always good games.

Hundreds of times, I've been like, "push out now. Do this. Do that" but he does it differently, and pulls the win out after defending against something I did not see coming.

Boxer hasn't been relevant for a long time now. Flash really is amazing and should eventually be the #1 I've never seen anyone with his level of micro and macro skills O.O. Flash vs Jaedong are pretty much the only matches I watch now if I hear they're playing each other since they're the best with their respective races.

#32 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:45 PM

Boxer hasn't been relevant for a long time now. Flash really is amazing and should eventually be the #1 I've never seen anyone with his level of micro and macro skills O.O. Flash vs Jaedong are pretty much the only matches I watch now if I hear they're playing each other since they're the best with their respective races.

didnt the emperor of terran retire? i thought boxer was like coaching someone now

#33 emerkeng

emerkeng
  • 561 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:19 PM

didnt the emperor of terran retire? i thought boxer was like coaching someone now

Boxer has become so irrelevant I don't even know. Last time I've heard he was part of the Korean Air Force Starcraft Team or something.

#34 Vegas

Vegas
  • Why So Serious?

• 2323 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:45 PM

The only good thing about Sc2 is the graphics. They destroyed every part of it.

I and alot of people seem to like it. After 10 years, sure it could've been way more epic but its here and it is what it is.

In SC1, you can to Micro your units with shitty AI's. For instance. If you shoot at something with a reaver, and that thing runs away, then scarab explodes without causing damage. If the person your facing is good enough to do that, they gain a slight advantage. You have to deal with stupid ai's walking the wrong direction, and shit like that. In SC2 the ai is smart, it walks properly, and doesn't glitch. No more skill required.

Have no idea what you mean by this. Either way there are no reavers so show me a better example.

Too Much Macro. In SC2 you have to contactly use a stupid skill at your home base, while you do a bunch of other stuff. The ability for a zerg to spawn 19 zerglings instead of 9 is just retarded. In Sc1 you just built your base, and then moved out, in this one, you have to keep going back and click again and again. Not exactly any fun, and doesn't make it any harder for the professions.

Qued mining. In Sc2 you can just click on the minerals and bam, it auto mines. That ruins part of the aspect of the game were you have remember to set your workers to mine. Even in pro games, sometimes they get to busy and forget to mine. They should be punished for that.

Imo, the new macro you have to do at your main, i.e. queens, chrono, cancel out the ability of queued mining. The outdated macro features such as not being able to rally multiple structures at the same time or queue workers was mind numbing as fck. I'd rather be using my micro skills more in unit fighting than making a worker mine. Its also extremely easy to manage the home base skills through hot keys.

Backdooring. In SC1 you had to work hard to break through the front line, or you had skillfully backdoor drop. In SC2 sooooo many units can just walk in your backdoor. Thats pointless. Protoss would not be able to just build units and come at you from behind, while your tanks are at the front.

I don't see how adding another dimension to attacking someone else's base is a bad idea? Brb not having to send ground units through a terran base choke with structure blocks and a bunch of tanks in siege mode AND sometimes cliffs advantage. I do admit the reaper harass can be annoying but you can easily learn to counter that

No mines. What the hell blizzard. Mines were 90% of the terran strategy. Remove that? Remove the power of tanks? Way to fuck the terran in the ass.

The game is about mass unit building. Nothing else. Its lots its strategy element. Its sad. I hate it.

Not at all. No offense but you would probably say the same for a game you're good at but, only people who are losing complain. You still have to scout well to succeed and every unit has its build counter for it and you still have to be able to micro units in battle well.

And btw, terran is the most versatile and most used race. It is the most common race of the SC2 pros. Zerg is the one nerfed without lurkers and swarm

#35 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:53 AM

Have no idea what you mean by this. Either way there are no reavers so show me a better example.

After reading this I realized that this would be from a "social" gamers viewpoint, who knows nothing more then the very very basics of the game. I was correct.

Enjoy your flashy, stylish game. Starcraft 2 is no were near as good as Starcraft: Brood War regardless.

#36 Vegas

Vegas
  • Why So Serious?

• 2323 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:38 AM

After reading this I realized that this would be from a "social" gamers viewpoint, who knows nothing more then the very very basics of the game. I was correct.

Enjoy your flashy, stylish game. Starcraft 2 is no were near as good as Starcraft: Brood War regardless.

lol I was gonna say that my view would be definitely biased but I didn't want to give you the advantage lol

still man, its a fun game. still need alot of counter strategy and micro involved to be decent.

#37 aznboi123

aznboi123
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:57 PM

i need a better computer to play it ! hopefully getting it soon!

#38 emerkeng

emerkeng
  • 561 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:00 PM

I think Blizzard chose to target the casual/social gamers for Starcraft 2 :crybaby:I hope Blizzard realizes that a lot of people still love the Brood War gameplay and keeps updating it with patches.

#39 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:05 PM

I think Blizzard chose to target the casual/social gamers for Starcraft 2 :crybaby:I hope Blizzard realizes that a lot of people still love the Brood War gameplay and keeps updating it with patches.

They will, for the low, low price of $14.95 per patch.

/end Blizzard/Activision joke.

#40 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 05:21 PM

i agree, cept im stuck with sc2 cuz i cant stand the faggotry brood war is giving me about the colour scheme on windows 7

#41 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:06 PM

i agree, cept im stuck with sc2 cuz i cant stand the faggotry brood war is giving me about the colour scheme on windows 7

Right click the desktop and select "Screen Resolution". Then launch SC. Problem should be fixed.

#42 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:22 AM

Right click the desktop and select "Screen Resolution". Then launch SC. Problem should be fixed.

i tried that, it was like first on the list when i googled the problem xD i tried the compatibility mode stuff too, and the run in 256 colours, disable composition and whatnot, didnt work for me =/

#43 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:09 PM

I used to be excited for this game. Then iargue raped me in StarCraft (I don't have a mouse, still haven't beaten campaign mode, and was unfamiliar with the units from Brood Wars because I hadn't beaten the original yet).

Maybe by the time I recover from the scarring the price will have come down

#44 Shadowfool

Shadowfool
  • 419 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:51 PM

I played the beta but didnt love it that much, I'll prbly buy it when the expansion comes out.(one of 2 expansions being made)

#45 supermnstr

supermnstr
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:28 PM

In brood war I can essentially show you a video of any unit beating another unit. Thats balance...

zergling beating BC's GO! :3

thats what i thought at first too, but my friend was like "noo, the 'J' stands for jaedong....LEEE JAEEEDOONGG"

WWFD is infinitely better

In SC1, you can to Micro your units with shitty AI's. For instance. If you shoot at something with a reaver, and that thing runs away, then scarab explodes without causing damage. If the person your facing is good enough to do that, they gain a slight advantage. You have to deal with stupid ai's walking the wrong direction, and shit like that. In SC2 the ai is smart, it walks properly, and doesn't glitch. No more skill required.

Reavers were a unit from BW that are hard to use well unless you are pro or have a huge skill gap. Theres still stuff to do even with better AI. Too many people go one control group syndrome and end up with hellions behind rines or rines in front of tanks when fighting ling roach and other situations.

Too Much Macro. In SC2 you have to contactly use a stupid skill at your home base, while you do a bunch of other stuff. The ability for a zerg to spawn 19 zerglings instead of 9 is just retarded. In Sc1 you just built your base, and then moved out, in this one, you have to keep going back and click again and again. Not exactly any fun, and doesn't make it any harder for the professions.

Qued mining. In Sc2 you can just click on the minerals and bam, it auto mines. That ruins part of the aspect of the game were you have remember to set your workers to mine. Even in pro games, sometimes they get to busy and forget to mine. They should be punished for that.

Imo, the new macro you have to do at your main, i.e. queens, chrono, cancel out the ability of queued mining. The outdated macro features such as not being able to rally multiple structures at the same time or queue workers was mind numbing as fck. I'd rather be using my micro skills more in unit fighting than making a worker mine. Its also extremely easy to manage the home base skills through hot keys.

Im not pro but I imagine it would be hard to build units and fight battles at the same time (queuing is so newb)

Backdooring. In SC1 you had to work hard to break through the front line, or you had skillfully backdoor drop. In SC2 sooooo many units can just walk in your backdoor. Thats pointless. Protoss would not be able to just build units and come at you from behind, while your tanks are at the front.

I don't see how adding another dimension to attacking someone else's base is a bad idea? Brb not having to send ground units through a terran base choke with structure blocks and a bunch of tanks in siege mode AND sometimes cliffs advantage. I do admit the reaper harass can be annoying but you can easily learn to counter that

Then watch your back door keep your army mobile. Turtling in one place isn't strategy. Being forced to decide where your opponent is going to attack? should I keep my army mobile if they attack here? Or seiged so I can defend better if they attack here? is strategy

No mines. What the hell blizzard. Mines were 90% of the terran strategy. Remove that? Remove the power of tanks? Way to fuck the terran in the ass.

No lurkers/scrouge, no sairs. toss and zerg both have to change tactics with the removal of those units. On the other hand you gain vikings, banshees, hellions, reapers, rauders I'd say T was boosted not nerfed. As for strategy having unit producing structures share add ons allows for much more creativity with switcharoos and the question of should you even get an add-on?

The game is about mass unit building. Nothing else. Its lots its strategy element. Its sad. I hate it.

Not quite sure what you mean here... there are plenty of games that end quick due to well timed aggression and other games that are huge macro battles.

Not at all. No offense but you would probably say the same for a game you're good at but, only people who are losing complain. You still have to scout well to succeed and every unit has its build counter for it and you still have to be able to micro units in battle well.

Counters aren't real! (yay for quoting day9) I beat roaches with hellions all the time...

And btw, terran is the most versatile and most used race. It is the most common race of the SC2 pros. Zerg is the one nerfed without lurkers and swarm

Zerg isn't underpowered... All the races have quirks that make them versatile I wouldn't say terran is more special then zerg or toss (toss you can make proxy pylons and warp units in wherever, zerg can stock pile up to 19 larvae at a hatch with 5 hatches you can replace a 200/200 army in one build cycle if you can out macro your opponent...)

#46 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:31 PM

WWFD is infinitely better

ehhh doesn't have the same effect as 'what would jaedong do' paralleling 'what would jesus do'

Edited by SilentErektion, 10 August 2010 - 05:33 PM.

#47 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:31 PM

edit: internal server error made me double post :(

Edited by SilentErektion, 10 August 2010 - 05:32 PM.

#48 Lallard

Lallard
  • 487 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:14 PM

Just got SCII weeks ago, and kinda played through the campaign.

As great as it looks I doubt that it'll ever get anywhere near the status of the first one. I hate the fact that there's no LAN option though :(

#49 Vegas

Vegas
  • Why So Serious?

• 2323 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:23 AM

Zerg isn't underpowered... All the races have quirks that make them versatile I wouldn't say terran is more special then zerg or toss (toss you can make proxy pylons and warp units in wherever, zerg can stock pile up to 19 larvae at a hatch with 5 hatches you can replace a 200/200 army in one build cycle if you can out macro your opponent...)

I've heard of and seen a couple vids of that zerg atleast top 8 pro idra whining and complaining about how zerg is a bit weak especially in zvt. i don't play zerg at all so pretty much where i get that idea from. idra though is a known whiner and a terrible sport(telling people he lost to that hes a better player than them etc etc)
Posted Image

#50 Miked924

Miked924
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:12 AM

i would def recomend this game, i never played the first one so it took me a little while to get into and i also suck in the multiplayer i dont get what i do wrong

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users