Photo

Textbooks for this Semester

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Eliam

Eliam
  • 621 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:41 PM

Oi, college. I ran up costs for my textbooks for this semester, and they're going to run me around $700. Sucks. =/ It's a new record for me.

For those of you in school, what are your textbook costs going to be this semester?

#2 Lallard

Lallard
  • 487 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:45 PM

HOLY CRAP did you have to buy your books from the university bookstore?

Mine ranges about 200-300 dollars per quarter, so roughly 600 at most in a school year.

#3 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:50 PM

$700 for books... O_o I think the most I've spent in a year on textbooks is like £60-70. :p It helps when you can just borrow books from the library whenever you need them.

#4 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:50 PM

Oi, college. I ran up costs for my textbooks for this semester, and they're going to run me around $700. Sucks. =/ It's a new record for me.

For those of you in school, what are your textbook costs going to be this semester?

If I buy them from the bookstore - about $500-700 per semester. If I buy International Editions off eBay and torrent whatever ones I can, maybe about $200. :p

#5 EmperoR

EmperoR
  • 170 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:56 PM

Try abebook.com. I often get a cheap text book there.
I think I will have to pay $250 for textbook, even though I only take 4 classes.

#6 Celestial

Celestial
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:58 PM

not into the college seen yet my sister paid about $400 for her science based classes.

#7 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 August 2010 - 04:03 PM

If I buy from the bookstore....

Book 1: $137.75
Book 2: $159.75
Book 3: $114.75
Book 4: $45.00
Total: $457.25

My grant will cover all of that, but I'm debating on seeing if I can get the books elsewhere before the 1st ;)

I would have to pay up front if I get them elsewhere, but I would get the leftover money from my grant refunded at the end of the term.

#8 EmperoR

EmperoR
  • 170 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 04:16 PM

I get $500 per semester for textbook so I will save as much as possible. (So that the leftover becomes my earning.)
I usually borrow a textbook from friends if it is not worth buying (required class that you won't see it again).
The only annoying thing is that the textbook tends to come with new edition every year or two.
They are smart enough to rearrange the problems so that we "have" to buy the newest edition.
If you are college student in the US, there is free one year amazon prime feature. (Just in case someone miss it.)

#9 Frank274

Frank274
  • 2051 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:17 AM

Mine are just about $350 or so. Nothing TOO expensive. They'll get more pricey when I start needing books for my direct major

#10 kadoatie

kadoatie
  • 284 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:29 PM

About $300 total. Science and math textbooks are so exorbitantly priced.

#11 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:48 PM

To be honest, I haven't even registered for the fall semester yet, and classes start on the 31st.

Last semester, I managed to buy most of my textbooks used through eBay and Amazon, but I had to buy a couple in the school bookstore and the prices were insane. My school does buy books back at the end of each semester, but they give you nothing close to the original price and some books are already outdated by the time you're done with them.

#12 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:59 AM

Although I don't goto uni yet I'd get the international student versions off ebay. I bought 'The Art of Electronics' for $50 which can sell for as high as $300 (but most places $200) bit of a saving if you ask me.

#13 Elle

Elle
  • ShadowLink64's Rebel

• 894 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:03 AM

live in australia, go to a public high school, and you pay $0 sum total for textbooks X)

#14 Code

Code
  • Patron of Absorbia

• 435 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:49 AM

I don't need to pay for my textbooks yet.. since i'm in highschool xD
In china you need to buy your textbooks in all grades. But they are really small, and cheap :p

#15 EzioAuditore

EzioAuditore
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:59 AM

My text books for 4 classes were about $500.

#16 supermnstr

supermnstr
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:32 AM

I probably spent 300$-ish not that bad I guess. I probably could have saved more if I looked harder... Too bad there's no ab-er in real life -0-

#17 kcsays

kcsays
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:39 AM

what the hell!? $500 for textbooks sounds enormous to me o__o. i'm doing a double degree in women's lit/japanese studies and i barely spent more than 100 euros for everything i needed and i could even afford a few extras. then again, i bought everything secondhand online and most of what i had to buy were novels. and there i thought my 40 euro japanese history textbook was a ripoff... gee.

#18 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:44 PM

About £30 over a 4 year course...

Extortionate amounts on violin strings though. :p

#19 Eliam

Eliam
  • 621 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:42 PM

OK, so these prices were if I buy through the college bookstore. I am going to be looking at other options. Already got one that someone it going to sell me for 50 USD used instead of the 70 USD used the bookstore would choose.

Japanese I requires a book that is 150 USD and includes CDs and such, but then also needs two other books.
Math has, naturally, an expensive textbook.

And then my three history classes.

#20 Paulster

Paulster
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:08 PM

Engineering is like the worst for textbooks. They update editions and throw new information at us each year, effectively destroying the used book market ever 16 months. My books for this Fall came to around $350 or so, but that is because I am borrowing a Differential Equations book and a Physics book from friends for the semester. Borrowing saved me like 100 plus dollars.

The textbook market is the most crooked thing I have ever seen. No book should cost 200 dollars unless it is printed on gold-sheet paper with unicorn blood ink with a diamond cover.

The WORST is when a teacher makes a big deal about getting the textbook because you will "definitely need it for the class", then they never reference it after the first two weeks, and you wasted 150 bucks for a paperweight. It happens to me at least once a semester, and always pisses me off.

#21 Eliam

Eliam
  • 621 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:23 PM

Engineering is like the worst for textbooks. They update editions and throw new information at us each year, effectively destroying the used book market ever 16 months. My books for this Fall came to around $350 or so, but that is because I am borrowing a Differential Equations book and a Physics book from friends for the semester. Borrowing saved me like 100 plus dollars.

The textbook market is the most crooked thing I have ever seen. No book should cost 200 dollars unless it is printed on gold-sheet paper with unicorn blood ink with a diamond cover.

The WORST is when a teacher makes a big deal about getting the textbook because you will "definitely need it for the class", then they never reference it after the first two weeks, and you wasted 150 bucks for a paperweight. It happens to me at least once a semester, and always pisses me off.

Well, Engineering is constantly changing and new technologies are always emerging, but yeah, that sucks.

I mean, I understand where the prices come from, because oddly enough book companies aren't getting rich off of textbook sales. The companies that buy and resell them are, though.
However, yeah, it sucks when you buy a book and don't use it, or only use it very lightly.

#22 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:44 AM

I'll probably spend upwards of 400 USD on textbooks this semester. And that's for five courses.

Last semester was six courses and I think I broke the 700 mark.

Of course I'll be buying as many as possible through Amazon and related sites. But not every textbook is available through retailers.

#23 wtfints

wtfints
  • 518 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:53 PM

so ex.

just borrow from friends and photocopy.

#24 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:24 PM

so ex.

just borrow from friends and photocopy.

Works if you know someone in the class with you, but I don't always. Plus if they took the class last year or the year before, the books might have been updated. Or a different professor is teaching the course and now I've photocopied a book that I don't need.

I like your method when I can get away with it. It's just I can't always.

#25 erock

erock
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:44 AM

It's sometimes worth it just to rent textbooks - especially for gen ed's since you'll never use the books again in your life. Plus you don't have to worry about a new edition coming out and getting screwed over by only being able to sell it for 5 bucks. That's what I did in college and it saved me a bunch. I'd recommend chegg.com.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users