Photo

video games!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 kcsays

kcsays
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:06 AM

so i was scrolling down and surprised not to see a video games topic, so i thought it would be nice to start one. personally, i've always been obsessed with them and i consider them to be much more than a hobby (yup, i'm one of those "video games are art" people). i don't really enjoy sports/car games and the like, but apart from that there is not a single genre i don't appreciate, though i mostly play rpgs and survival horror.

since it's summer i suppose those of you who do like video games must have gamed away quite a bit, so tell me, what did you play?

as for me, i played a lot of pokemon soulsilver and zelda spirit tracks on my ds (and what a disappointment it was, spirit tracks was awful), i finished dead space on the ps3, went halfway through the first kingdom hearts and beat silent hill 2 for the 839292892 time because i love this game. right now i'm close to finishing mana khemia alchemists of al revis on the ps2, and so far is has been amazing.

feel free to recommend me some games you think i might enjoy :)

#2 EzioAuditore

EzioAuditore
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:10 AM

I liked both of the Assassin's Creed games. I'm always a fan of FPS and games with zombies. :)

#3 kcsays

kcsays
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:15 AM

yup, i've been considering picking them up for a while. well, especially the first one since it has significantly gone down in price since the sequel came out, but i've always heard mixed feedback about them. being a middle-age super secret spy sounds pretty rad so i'll end up giving in someday. as for fps, i need to get my hands on a cheap copy of fear for ps3 or 360, i have it as a pc game but my desktop broke before i got a chance to play it and now it won't run on my poor little lappy :(

Edited by kcsays, 16 August 2010 - 11:15 AM.

#4 EzioAuditore

EzioAuditore
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:17 AM

I liked the second Assassin's Creed more because there was more to do. The first game explains a lot that happens in the second game though, so it's good to play them in order. They will drop more in price in November when Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood comes out.

#5 ArticTheTiger

ArticTheTiger
  • 1318 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:30 AM

unfortunately brotherhood isn't an actual sequal, more like an mmo.

#6 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:51 AM

so far this summer I've been playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Red Dead Redemption, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Fallout 3 which is epic, and Mass Effect 2...Waiting for other new games to come out...I have Dead Space but haven't played that yet.

#7 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:01 PM

For someone who "loves" video games. You sure play alot of shitty games.

Face it. Pokemon was fun when you were five (And is good nostalgia) but when it games to play style/design. It sucks. (Watch the pokemon people rage).

The fact that you can even play Silent Hill 2 for more then 1 playthrough (if you make it that far). Is a testament to how bad of taste you have.

Shall I list the video games I have played?

Spoiler

Its cool though. Your a casual gamer who wants to sound like a hardcore gamer so you can be "cool". You dont have to pretend dude. I hate you because you claim to be all about video games, and love them, and they are so awesome. Yet you have no idea what makes a real video game good, or even how to find the secret cow level. You just like it because its pretty and fun. So just say that. Dont say, "Video games are art". None of the video games you list are considered to be "art". Games like Assassins Creed. God of War. and Batman: Arkham Asylum are considered art worthy. Pokemon is a 2d black and white (or 8bit color) game, with no real game mechanics.

So. Talk about the casual games you like to play whenever your board, thats fine. :). Sometimes I like to lay in bed and just relax with some pokemon for the night. But dont come in here talking about how badass of a gamer you are. Thats just going to make me hate you for being a fake. Real gamers dont need to list the games they play (I only listed some because you did). Real gamers just talk about the games that they love the most, and discuss its flaws and its good sides.

Sadly. The age of games being limited to people who understand the game is dieing. Now we get games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. That is just flashy so the simple people will love it.

I liked both of the Assassin's Creed games. I'm always a fan of FPS and games with zombies. :)

Based on your name. I would never have guess that....

You should change it to make it more obvious :)

unfortunately brotherhood isn't an actual sequal, more like an mmo.

/Facepalm.

Maybe this will help you learn what an MMO is.

http://en.wikipedia....yer_online_game

#8 ArticTheTiger

ArticTheTiger
  • 1318 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:26 PM

/Facepalm.

'scooze me sir, are you commenting on the part that says it is not an actual sequel or the part that calls it an mmo? (in which case, I have been misinformed. I know what an MMO is.)

#9 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:20 PM

Call of Duty was good before the company sold out the makers...Now its just full of noobs...Battlefield2: Bad Company is a better game...

Wow Iargue...nice list I remember most of those games....As for Batman the sequel should blow Batman out of the water....

I really do like that list...you even got ESPN 2k5 the greatest football game ever, I still play it, updated though. Really kicks the shit out of Madden.

As for World Soccer Winning Eleven 6 International, what is that? An old version of the game? I think they are at 9 now or something..I just got Pro Evolution Soccer for the ps3 should be fun to dominate with FC Barcelona.

Edited by Warriors, 16 August 2010 - 02:10 PM.

#10 EzioAuditore

EzioAuditore
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:02 PM

Based on your name. I would never have guess that....

You should change it to make it more obvious :)

/Facepalm.

You're quite the dick for me just trying to suggest some games to a new person. If no one has ever played the game they wouldn't know who Ezio Auditore is, in which case my username doesn't give that away, my avatar does. Even people that played the first AC but not the second wouldn't know who Ezio Auditore is.

I wasn't the one here that claimed to be a "hardcore gamer", sorry I generalized and said FPS and zombies so I didn't have to list Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo PC, CoD 2, CoD 4, CoD WoW, CoD MW2, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, Dead Rising, ETC. I didn't feel like making a laundry list of games like you did.

Also, you shouldn't rant about how much people's choice in games sucks, because it's called an opinion, and frankly your grammar sucks too much to insult someone like you were trying to do.

Maybe this will help you learn what an opinion is:

http://www.google.co...pinion&gs_rfai=

Edited by EzioAuditore, 16 August 2010 - 02:17 PM.

#11 Abrar

Abrar
  • 157 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:37 PM

I love playing TPS and RTS games. (:
TPS only because I fell in love with the online games 'Gunz.' I've never seen a game like it in my whole life, and probably never will. I'm gonna get carpal tunnel from playing it though $:

anyways those are my opinions ;)

#12 Brennon

Brennon
  • 938 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:57 PM

Pokemon all the way :p
but right now im freaking loving Oblivion IV: The Elder Scrolls :)
I dont call my self a hardcore gamer but i dont casually play them i think im more inbetween
Oh and Argue you got me hooked on starcraft DARN YOU!!!!!!

Edited by brennon, 16 August 2010 - 03:02 PM.

#13 Abrar

Abrar
  • 157 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:39 PM

oh mannn, i wanna play starcraft D;
is the new one any good? i heard many good things about it (:
RTS games ftw ;)

#14 EzioAuditore

EzioAuditore
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:38 PM

Pokemon all the way :p
but right now im freaking loving Oblivion IV: The Elder Scrolls :)
I dont call my self a hardcore gamer but i dont casually play them i think im more inbetween
Oh and Argue you got me hooked on starcraft DARN YOU!!!!!!

I liked all of the Elder Scrolls games, I got hooked on Morrowind and the expansion for that game.

#15 Lineage

Lineage
  • 498 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:38 PM

Final Fantasy 13 is going to be taking up my time for awhile.
I had 115 days or something crazy logged on Final Fantasy 12 and 13 has wayy more extra stuff.
So we'll see how long it takes until I'm bored (:

Edited by Lineage, 16 August 2010 - 04:39 PM.

#16 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:09 PM

You're quite the dick for me just trying to suggest some games to a new person. If no one has ever played the game they wouldn't know who Ezio Auditore is, in which case my username doesn't give that away, my avatar does. Even people that played the first AC but not the second wouldn't know who Ezio Auditore is.

I wasn't the one here that claimed to be a "hardcore gamer", sorry I generalized and said FPS and zombies so I didn't have to list Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo PC, CoD 2, CoD 4, CoD WoW, CoD MW2, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, Dead Rising, ETC. I didn't feel like making a laundry list of games like you did.

Also, you shouldn't rant about how much people's choice in games sucks, because it's called an opinion, and frankly your grammar sucks too much to insult someone like you were trying to do.

Maybe this will help you learn what an opinion is:

http://www.google.co...pinion&gs_rfai=

You are so retarded....

The only thing of my entire post that was ever directed at you... Was that your name is the person from Assassins Creed 2. It was a joke, and you suddenly get all bitchy about it. Which makes no sense.

I never once insulted or ranted about peoples choice of games. People can play anything they want. I rant about them saying "I am a big gamer" whenever they play 1-2 games.

And I already explained why I made that list, and you really should try reading my post before you insult my grammar.

Now all you have done is anger me with your ignorance... I wasn't even angry before.

#17 Eliam

Eliam
  • 621 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:11 PM

I am a Final Fantasy fan. Recently I've been playing Escape Velocity Nova for PC, though.

#18 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:15 PM

oh mannn, i wanna play starcraft D;
is the new one any good? i heard many good things about it (:
RTS games ftw ;)

If you want to play Brood War. PM me. I'll play with you.

There is an entire starcraft 2 topic. Check it out :p

#19 WakaWaka

WakaWaka
  • 458 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:24 PM

I usually play emulators on my pc..
Currently Im playing marvel vs capcom 2 and capcom vs snk 2
If not that I play arcade games like xmen vs street fighter, street fighter alpha 3 on emulators as well.
If not that Civilization 4 or plants vs zombies :D

#20 kcsays

kcsays
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:12 AM

iargue, when i said i'm the type of person who consider video games to be art, i never meant to say that i play only video games which could be classified as such in my opinion. i honestly doubt you even believe yourself when you pretend to have understood that i consider a game like pokemon to be art. i often compare video games to movies. both are a fairly recent type of media and happen to be similarly torn between the fields of art and entertainment. a movie like kim ki duk's 3 iron is definitely art, as it is obvious the director's purpose was to make an art-type movie through the use of certain quirks which wouldn't appeal to a mainstream audience. then there is movies which are nothing but pure entertainment and don't make much of a statement of any kind at all (be it artistic, socio-political, etc). and then there are movies that are kind of inbetween, like those directed by tarantino or scorcese. they provide their audience with plenty of action and not-too-convoluted plots and easily appeal to the mainstream movie-goer type, but deliberately adopt a rather unique, distinguishable style which allows them to be analysed, criticised, written about as art.

video games aren't exactly full-fledged art, and whether a game could one day attain this status is a great object of debate because the interactive aspect of the media invariably pushes it closer to entertainment

iargue, when i said i'm the type of person who considers video games to be art, i never meant to say that i play only video games which could be classified as such in my opinion. i honestly doubt you even believe it yourself when you pretend to have understood that i do consider a game like pokemon to be art. this is self-deception on your part so i will not address it.

i often compare video games to movies. both are a fairly recent type of media and happen to be similarly torn between the fields of art and entertainment. a movie like kim ki duk's 3 iron is definitely art, as it is obvious the director's purpose was to make an art-type movie through the use of certain quirks which wouldn't appeal to a mainstream audience. then there is movies which are nothing but pure entertainment and don't make much of a statement of any kind at all (be it artistic, socio-political, etc). those are usually the blockbusters you find to be heavily advertised all over the place. finally there are movies that are kind of inbetween, like those directed by tarantino or scorcese. they provide their audience with plenty of action and not-too-convoluted plots and easily appeal to the mainstream movie-goer type, but deliberately adopt a rather unique, distinguishable style which allows them to be analysed, criticised, written about as art.

video games aren't exactly full-fledged art, and whether a game could one day attain this status is a great object of debate because the interactive aspect of the media invariably pushes it closer to entertainment. so my personal opinion is that games are either total entertainment as is the case of the pokemon series because, let's admit it, you'd have to be high on something really strong to be able to write a convincing essay about pokemon having a unique style or potentially conveying a sociological message, or they can be both at the same time (entertainment and art, that is). but in no way is this pejorative for the video game media, because very often, some respectable masterpieces start off as mere mass entertainment. for instance, dickens' david copperfield was usually published as a newspaper series the people of england couldn't get enough of (much like our modern tv series).

but back to video games. let's take a simple example, you called me out on the fact that i have played through silent hill 2 numerous times, but there are two different approaches you can take to this game: you can either play it as just yet another survival horror with crazy monsters you're supposed to beat up while running for your life and wanting to beat the game, or you can decide to be very attentive to the level and monster designs (among others) to pick up on minor details, symbols, metaphors and the like. silent hill 2 (as is the case for most silent hill games, actually) is fraught with freudian theories of the unconscious and frustration-induced hysteria ; it would be very easy to write an essay which analyses james as a modern allegory for guilt and remorse. i suppose that now you might understand why i found it interesting and even necessary to finish the games several times, considering that when i find a game to be worthwhile of my time and critical energy, i tend to want to analyse it as i might a literary/cinematographical object.
since you don't seem to be too fond of the silent hill series though, i'll throw in another example. you mentioned bioshock in your long (long, long, looong) list of videogames. well, how obvious are its references to the cold war and communist phobia which marked the united states of the 50's and 60's? and let's not even mention the dystopic theme.

it's rather strange though, the way you seem to hold video games in high esteem but still focus on the overall graphic style as the one element which ultimately defines whether the game is worthy of being treated as art or not. the mother series doesn't look like much, at first sight this is nothing but a quirky, cute little rpg with a weird sense of humour in it, but i invite you to play it through (if you haven't done already, taking into consideration your claim to have virtually played every single game in existence) and see for yourself how the ending manages to twist this happy little world into something quite awful and unhealthy.

also, i'm afraid (hope) there might have been a misunderstanding. the few games i cited are in no way a complete list of everything i've played in my entire life, they are only some of those i played during the holidays (july/august) while working part time and doing lots of research for my women's lit masters dissertation. i'm both sorry and sad if i've offended you by claiming to love games even though i don't spend 16 hours a day on them.
but i'm not holding your rash observations/assumptions against you, because i'm certain there's got to be quite a bit of insecurity going on there if you can't help but lash out at someone who was trying to be friendly and casual about a topic you seem to hold dear. i felt like discussing video games for a bit of enjoyable chit-chat without having to go all scholarly-academic type and explain the why and the how (and the how much, since that seems to matter a great deal), but i was wrong and i sincerely apologize for that. remind me to pull the pretentious card out of my sleeve right away next time. i might forget, i'm not a natural when it comes to being condescending, unlike some people.

edit: i wanted to edit this post because after all i did take some time to browse through the list of games you bothered to post, and i have to admit it got a :/ face out of me because many of them i did enjoy, and a few i adore, even though you mentioned a lot of sports games and these make me wince. i'm quite aware it all comes down to personal taste though. we could have been having interesting conversations of the type you mentioned ("discussing games we like and debating their flaws and strengths") but instead you just had to lash out and pretend you took this post for a bragging rights competition in spite of my intending it to be a light-hearted summer gaming thread, oh well.

also, concerning your saying that nowadays fewer and fewer people truly enjoy video games and we have to deal with a lot of flashy games that will appeal to the "simple" people, it's true that overly casual games have taken over part of the market, i'm thinking about ds games in particular, but in spite of this, a great proportion of amazing games is still released every year, so there's no reason to rage at so-called casual gamers unless you want to implicitly prove a so-called superiority. nobody's ruining the video game industry, but out-of-place patronizing sure is turning it into a sensitive subject. (cf 4chan's /v/)

Edited by kcsays, 17 August 2010 - 09:45 AM.

#21 Abrar

Abrar
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:16 AM

If you want to play Brood War. PM me. I'll play with you.

There is an entire starcraft 2 topic. Check it out :p

any chance you play an rts called age of mythology?
cus thats the one i play the most :p

#22 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:12 PM

tl;dr

You mad, bro?

#23 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:13 PM

i honestly doubt you even believe it yourself when you pretend to have understood that i do consider a game like pokemon to be art. this is self-deception on your part so i will not address it.

I read this over and over and over and over again. I still cannot figure out what your talking about.

iargue, when i said i'm the type of person who consider video games to be art, i never meant to say that i play only video games which could be classified as such in my opinion. i honestly doubt you even believe yourself when you pretend to have understood that i consider a game like pokemon to be art. i often compare video games to movies. both are a fairly recent type of media and happen to be similarly torn between the fields of art and entertainment. a movie like kim ki duk's 3 iron is definitely art, as it is obvious the director's purpose was to make an art-type movie through the use of certain quirks which wouldn't appeal to a mainstream audience. then there is movies which are nothing but pure entertainment and don't make much of a statement of any kind at all (be it artistic, socio-political, etc). and then there are movies that are kind of inbetween, like those directed by tarantino or scorcese. they provide their audience with plenty of action and not-too-convoluted plots and easily appeal to the mainstream movie-goer type, but deliberately adopt a rather unique, distinguishable style which allows them to be analysed, criticised, written about as art.

video games aren't exactly full-fledged art, and whether a game could one day attain this status is a great object of debate because the interactive aspect of the media invariably pushes it closer to entertainment

iargue, when i said i'm the type of person who considers video games to be art, i never meant to say that i play only video games which could be classified as such in my opinion. i honestly doubt you even believe it yourself when you pretend to have understood that i do consider a game like pokemon to be art. this is self-deception on your part so i will not address it.

i often compare video games to movies. both are a fairly recent type of media and happen to be similarly torn between the fields of art and entertainment. a movie like kim ki duk's 3 iron is definitely art, as it is obvious the director's purpose was to make an art-type movie through the use of certain quirks which wouldn't appeal to a mainstream audience. then there is movies which are nothing but pure entertainment and don't make much of a statement of any kind at all (be it artistic, socio-political, etc). those are usually the blockbusters you find to be heavily advertised all over the place. finally there are movies that are kind of inbetween, like those directed by tarantino or scorcese. they provide their audience with plenty of action and not-too-convoluted plots and easily appeal to the mainstream movie-goer type, but deliberately adopt a rather unique, distinguishable style which allows them to be analysed, criticised, written about as art.

video games aren't exactly full-fledged art, and whether a game could one day attain this status is a great object of debate because the interactive aspect of the media invariably pushes it closer to entertainment. so my personal opinion is that games are either total entertainment as is the case of the pokemon series because, let's admit it, you'd have to be high on something really strong to be able to write a convincing essay about pokemon having a unique style or potentially conveying a sociological message, or they can be both at the same time (entertainment and art, that is). but in no way is this pejorative for the video game media, because very often, some respectable masterpieces start off as mere mass entertainment. for instance, dickens' david copperfield was usually published as a newspaper series the people of england couldn't get enough of (much like our modern tv series).

but back to video games. let's take a simple example, you called me out on the fact that i have played through silent hill 2 numerous times, but there are two different approaches you can take to this game: you can either play it as just yet another survival horror with crazy monsters you're supposed to beat up while running for your life and wanting to beat the game, or you can decide to be very attentive to the level and monster designs (among others) to pick up on minor details, symbols, metaphors and the like. silent hill 2 (as is the case for most silent hill games, actually) is fraught with freudian theories of the unconscious and frustration-induced hysteria ; it would be very easy to write an essay which analyses james as a modern allegory for guilt and remorse. i suppose that now you might understand why i found it interesting and even necessary to finish the games several times, considering that when i find a game to be worthwhile of my time and critical energy, i tend to want to analyse it as i might a literary/cinematographical object.
since you don't seem to be too fond of the silent hill series though, i'll throw in another example. you mentioned bioshock in your long (long, long, looong) list of videogames. well, how obvious are its references to the cold war and communist phobia which marked the united states of the 50's and 60's? and let's not even mention the dystopic theme.

it's rather strange though, the way you seem to hold video games in high esteem but still focus on the overall graphic style as the one element which ultimately defines whether the game is worthy of being treated as art or not. the mother series doesn't look like much, at first sight this is nothing but a quirky, cute little rpg with a weird sense of humour in it, but i invite you to play it through (if you haven't done already, taking into consideration your claim to have virtually played every single game in existence) and see for yourself how the ending manages to twist this happy little world into something quite awful and unhealthy.

also, i'm afraid (hope) there might have been a misunderstanding. the few games i cited are in no way a complete list of everything i've played in my entire life, they are only some of those i played during the holidays (july/august) while working part time and doing lots of research for my women's lit masters dissertation. i'm both sorry and sad if i've offended you by claiming to love games even though i don't spend 16 hours a day on them.
but i'm not holding your rash observations/assumptions against you, because i'm certain there's got to be quite a bit of insecurity going on there if you can't help but lash out at someone who was trying to be friendly and casual about a topic you seem to hold dear. i felt like discussing video games for a bit of enjoyable chit-chat without having to go all scholarly-academic type and explain the why and the how (and the how much, since that seems to matter a great deal), but i was wrong and i sincerely apologize for that. remind me to pull the pretentious card out of my sleeve right away next time. i might forget, i'm not a natural when it comes to being condescending, unlike some people.

edit: i wanted to edit this post because after all i did take some time to browse through the list of games you bothered to post, and i have to admit it got a :/ face out of me because many of them i did enjoy, and a few i adore, even though you mentioned a lot of sports games and these make me wince. i'm quite aware it all comes down to personal taste though. we could have been having interesting conversations of the type you mentioned ("discussing games we like and debating their flaws and strengths") but instead you just had to lash out and pretend you took this post for a bragging rights competition in spite of my intending it to be a light-hearted summer gaming thread, oh well.

also, concerning your saying that nowadays fewer and fewer people truly enjoy video games and we have to deal with a lot of flashy games that will appeal to the "simple" people, it's true that overly casual games have taken over part of the market, i'm thinking about ds games in particular, but in spite of this, a great proportion of amazing games is still released every year, so there's no reason to rage at so-called casual gamers unless you want to implicitly prove a so-called superiority. nobody's ruining the video game industry, but out-of-place patronizing sure is turning it into a sensitive subject. (cf 4chan's /v/)

You do not even come close to understanding what a video game is about. I've play more video games then I will ever be able to remember. I may sound elitist when I talk about them, but I am being completely honest. I've play so many games that when I pick up a new game. Its going to be a repeat. The last game that I played that was not the same thing as 20 different games was assassins creed. So I already know the fights. I already know basically what the game will be like, Its repetition. So how I can manage to play the game. Is how well it is put together.

When you take a single game, one point can ruin the entire experience. For instance. Take Lost Planet. It has Amazing Graphics. A solid Story Line, and great voice acting. The problem? The controls. They are so sluggish. They make me want to cry as I slowly turn, and slowly do this, and slowly do that. It destroys the game for me. Why play a game that I have to wait every time I tell it to do something, when I could instead play a game that does everything I wish it to do, before I finish wishing? To me, this is how games are. Every game is made up of its basic elements. The Graphics. The sound. The story. and the controlled. So many games I hate just because they cant get the controls right. I love games that when I press x, x happens. I dont want to wait 3 seconds for x to happen. I want it done. For casual games, the delay is great. Gives them time to plan their new move. For me. Its horrible. I'm 5 moves ahead waiting on the first one to finish. It makes me want to not play the game. But, just like on element of the game can break it, another element can make the game. For instance. God of War. The graphics and controls are great. The story line is solid. But what makes the game, is how over powered you are. That sense of epic fucking godliness is what makes the series so amazing. But its done in a way that you dont get bored. Ninty Nine Nights tried to make you overpowered, and just make the game boring.

But you cant dare accuse me of thinking that games are just about graphics. Thats just insulting. I've play games before they had graphics. Starcraft 2 has the most beautiful graphics I've seen sense crysis. Doesn't make me want to play it. Other aspects of the game are just as important, or more important then graphics. But games are not "art". Art is something that people dont understand and so they hang on their wall and say, "Its art". A professor once wisely said, "Anything that you have to ask, is this art, is art". Thats the point of art. To be something that you dont think should be art, and it is. Thats not why video games exist. Yes. Batman Arkham Asylum has amazing graphics, perfect plot. Story line. Everything about it should be art. But its not art. Its there to entertain. The captivate your imagination. To draw you into a world that you can escape from your boring normal life. Thats not what art does. That is not something that art ever does. You do not stare at the mona lisa and escape for your life. You stare at the mona lisa and go "huh". Video games enable you to do things that you never have done before. They allow you to experience things you never would normally do (like be evil).

If you want to discuss the aspects of games. Like controls or balance. Then I am the person for you. I will with you how every weapon in Halo 3 has a counter. I will show you fights, and explain to you how you could have one that fight. I will show you how balanced the game is. I will show you in call of duty how a single weapon is more powerful then all others. I will show you fights that will never be won, and fights that cannot be lost. I will show you how to beat this class, and how to beat that class, but how to lose to this class, because it wont be beaten by skill alone. I discuss with you every class, every move, and every strategy in starcraft 2. Because this is were games matter. THIS is what makes a game good or bad. Not if the guy talks good. Not if the game looks good. Not if its "art". Its if it has what it takes to be great. Starcraft was originally made in 2000. The graphics on it are sub par. They dont hurt your eyes, but they dont make your orgasm. This game is the national sport of South Korea. Its the number 1 played online game. Ever. Why? Because its so perfectly balanced, that even the best of the best can be taken down. Its so well balanced, that someone can dominate the other player 90% of the time, and still lose.

But, if you want to just be like, "I played this game. It was great". I am not the person that you should talk to. I am much more into games, and much more kownledgeable about a game, just to like it.

any chance you play an rts called age of mythology?
cus thats the one i play the most :p

I'll be honest. When I played that ages ago. I didnt see any multiplayer potential. Buuut. I did the same thing when I first played starcraft. I am "obtaining" it now. Pm me and I will show you how we can play together.

#24 kcsays

kcsays
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:17 AM

well at least that's some proper discussion material i suppose.
i don't think i don't undertand video games, and neither do i think you don't, but it's quite obvious we understand them in radically different ways. you seem to be able to get quite technical when it comes to explaining why you believe a game is great or is not but i, on the other hand, am completely unable to do that and instead i tend to focus on how the game makes me feel. some video games have managed to give me the same sensations as some books, films or songs have. and unless you are willing to affirm that literature, cinema and music aren't art, i doubt you can deny that they have at least SOMETHING in common. you say that games are there so people can forget about their boring lives and escape it, but isn't that what books and movies do as well? regardless, i find it difficult to formulate an escapist theory for video games and tend to see them more as a means of catharsis. from my point of view, nothing can provide a better means of catharsis than a type of media which allows you to interact with it.
plus, if you read my post well, i called video games "art" in a very nuanced way: i wrote that it is difficult to perceive them as full fledged art because of the interactive aspect, which is always relating them to entertainment.

then again, it all comes down to the eternal debate concerning where the line between art and entertainement is. philosophers themselves still haven't come to terms with this question and their definitions vary greatly according to their schools of thought. can scorcese's blockbuster film shutter island be considered art just because it gives the film noir genre a successful make-over, in spite of its being, after all, a thriller movie like many others? is the object what the creator intended for it to be, or is it what the audience/the individual perceives it to be? as a literary critic, i'm afraid i'll have to go for the latter. this is the post modern age, and i believe that anyone can prove that anything is art given that they are able to provide substantial argumentation for their claim. i mean, didn't some guy turn over a toilet bowl and affirm that this was art? if i remember correctly his "piece" even made its way into a musem. if this gets to be called art, why not video games? you say that art is essentially something that should make people go "huh,' and that is a very good point, but in this case, remember that the possibilities for amazement know no bounds, and that is precisely what the toilet bowl guy wanted to convey. taken out of its munday, everyday-life context, any object and the prejudices they may or may not be associated with can lead to artistic questioning. society has been accusing video games of most anything and everything lately: omnipresent violence, mass killings, addictions and isolation. so i believe that, in a way, they're pretty much the next toilet bowl the artistic community will have to turn over. still, that doesn't prevent me from respecting whoever will believe otherwise.

well, as you might have understood by now, i'm not much of a technician, contrary to you. i can't not admire the incredibly skilled people who play in counter strike tournaments, devote their lives to gaming perfection (like the korean starcraft teams you mentioned. i watched a documentary once and couldn't believe how much discipline they had) or achieve impossibly high scores in bullet hell games. but this is not the aspect i'm personally interested in. i believe that ,like any other medium, video games can potentially (and i insist on the potentially, because of course a lot of games can be considered mere shallow, harmless fun and/or technical challenge) be a vector for social, philosophical or even political statements (thinking about the gta series here, especially the 4th one). for instance, as a girl and a gender studies enthusiast, i'm vastly interested on the part games have played/are playing/will play in sexual identity construction and i find both exterior analysis (statistics, mass opinion reactions to video games, treatment in both audiovisual and written press...) and interior analysis (recurring character types, plot patterns, ingame political correctness...) to be a goldmine of yet to be exploited information for gender theorists.
those are the personal "serious" approaches i choose to take to video games, and i believe i am entitled to them. but of course, this doesn't mean i analyse every second of every game i play and have become unable to enjoy video games as an entertainment. in a way if must be the same for you, because even though you are greatly knowledgeable concerning strategies and overall technical aspects from some titles, i doubt you would invest that much energy and time in everything you ever played.

edit: i just scrolled up and saw the bit you added for what i wrote about pokemon.
by this i meant that i believed you were playing dumb on purpose (pretending to have understood that i see pokemon as an art). because nobody in his right mind would go as far as calling pokemon art and you know that.
kinda sounded like you were just looking for more material to lash out at. even if you had to make it up.

Edited by kcsays, 18 August 2010 - 06:22 AM.

#25 Lallard

Lallard
  • 487 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:46 PM

Wow ^

On topic: Get a bunch of people to play SSBM with you, that game never gets old! :D

I'm kind of a brawl hater, but I'd still suggest that as a good party game.

If you're not a nintendo fan go try katamari damacy...that game is one bad a** mother father.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users