Photo

What instrument do you play?

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#76 fxckyouguys

fxckyouguys
  • 836 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:37 AM

I wish I could play the piano or violin, but I took art class instead. Hmmph.

#77 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:48 AM

I wish I could play the piano or violin, but I took art class instead. Hmmph.

Never too late to learn! :p I started teaching a woman in her 60s a couple of months ago and she's doing remarkably well.

In fact, there's a lot to be said for adult learners. They have a genuine desire to learn rather than the fleeting interest of a 7 year old and so concentrate more in lessons, practise more, tend to know what they're aiming for, more inclined to give things a go....

Even the most dedicated of children/teens can be a total pain. I spent most of my life knowing I wanted to be a violinist but didn't that stop some fairly intense tantrums over not wanting to play the same studies over and over, skipping practise when there was anything else I wanted to do, then getting angry when my next lesson went badly because I didn't have a clue what I was doing.

If you're at/anywhere near a university with a half decent music course, it could be worth asking around for a cheap teacher. Students are desperate for money and experience. :p I know my college keeps a teaching database with a load of our details on. You can pick up a basic student level of most instruments for a reasonable amount if you hunt around and a lot of these can be vastly improved just by upgrading the strings etc. Enough to get you through the first couple of years while you see if you take to it. I kept all my earlier violins (my current one is a loan from a very nice trust) and I lend them out to students if need be.

#78 Coiffure

Coiffure
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:38 AM

I play french horn, but I've always wanted to learn cello (me and everyone else, eh?) because I love the sound...

#79 Barophobia

Barophobia
  • 612 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:56 AM

I play the guitar but i suck so bad at it. I'm starting to think I have absolutely no talent in music whatsoever.

-curls into a ball

#80 Shadowfool

Shadowfool
  • 419 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:34 AM

I'm musically challenged. I can't comprehend rhythm.

#81 Barophobia

Barophobia
  • 612 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:37 PM

I'm musically challenged. I can't comprehend rhythm.

I'm only good with rhythm when I start playing music games. If i don't have a beat to follow I breakdown and start sucking my thumb :p

#82 Whyumad

Whyumad
  • 457 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:25 AM

Never too late to learn! :p I started teaching a woman in her 60s a couple of months ago and she's doing remarkably well.

In fact, there's a lot to be said for adult learners. They have a genuine desire to learn rather than the fleeting interest of a 7 year old and so concentrate more in lessons, practise more, tend to know what they're aiming for, more inclined to give things a go....

Even the most dedicated of children/teens can be a total pain. I spent most of my life knowing I wanted to be a violinist but didn't that stop some fairly intense tantrums over not wanting to play the same studies over and over, skipping practise when there was anything else I wanted to do, then getting angry when my next lesson went badly because I didn't have a clue what I was doing.

If you're at/anywhere near a university with a half decent music course, it could be worth asking around for a cheap teacher. Students are desperate for money and experience. :p I know my college keeps a teaching database with a load of our details on. You can pick up a basic student level of most instruments for a reasonable amount if you hunt around and a lot of these can be vastly improved just by upgrading the strings etc. Enough to get you through the first couple of years while you see if you take to it. I kept all my earlier violins (my current one is a loan from a very nice trust) and I lend them out to students if need be.

that's inspirational, unfortunately I don't have enough time to go practice an instrument..
maybe i'll take that to heart and wait till i'm retired and try to attempt my talent in music once again.

#83 DenyingSystems

DenyingSystems
  • 578 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:20 AM

that's inspirational, unfortunately I don't have enough time to go practice an instrument..
maybe i'll take that to heart and wait till i'm retired and try to attempt my talent in music once again.

I'd say that playing an instrument > time spent playing neopets

#84 fxckyouguys

fxckyouguys
  • 836 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:28 AM

I mean I wish my parents would have had me do more extracurricular activities when I was younger...one of those being playing the piano. Now that i'm older, I think it would be neat to know how to play, but I don't have the motivation to go out and find a teacher. :p

#85 Vivendio

Vivendio
  • 145 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:47 PM

I play the piano and oboe.

#86 Whyumad

Whyumad
  • 457 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:52 AM

I'd say that playing an instrument > time spent playing neopets

I don't actually play Neopets, just there for lols.
Most of the time I just AB and hopefully make a profit :)

#87 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:18 AM

I don't actually play Neopets, just there for lols.
Most of the time I just AB and hopefully make a profit :)

O_o for lols? I can't even remember the last time I had a laugh on there besides the boards, but now a days people report for being just humorous

#88 DenyingSystems

DenyingSystems
  • 578 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:20 AM

I mean I wish my parents would have had me do more extracurricular activities when I was younger...one of those being playing the piano. Now that i'm older, I think it would be neat to know how to play, but I don't have the motivation to go out and find a teacher. :p

If you don't want to go out and get a teacher, I'm sure you could find some helpful videos online to help you get started then maybe you'd have a bit more motivation to get a real teacher if you've already started trying to teach yourself. Even easy things like scales would be easy to learn yourself and they'd at least give you some sort of basis to start playing for real.

#89 Connery

Connery
  • 535 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:00 AM

I played the alto saxophone from grades five to eight. It was probably the easiest of the instruments I could've played at school. But since I'm not very musically-inclined, I gave it up when I got to high school.

#90 sircomflix

sircomflix
  • 461 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:20 PM

I played the alto saxophone from grades five to eight. It was probably the easiest of the instruments I could've played at school. But since I'm not very musically-inclined, I gave it up when I got to high school.

I also played alto sax in school but gave it up. It was fun but other stuff were funner =D

#91 Lizbette

Lizbette
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:30 PM

I play piano, clarinet and occasionally tenor sax. I've took piano lessons since I was 7 years old, but I stopped after finishing level 9 because I didn't want to take history; the history book was thicker than a biology textbook. I've played clarinet since grade 7 in elementary school, and I"m still playing it in band in high school right now.

#92 Whyumad

Whyumad
  • 457 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:49 PM

O_o for lols? I can't even remember the last time I had a laugh on there besides the boards, but now a days people report for being just humorous

Hahaha well I try to troll people on the trade, and send them neomails.
But I haven't even posted anything on their boards for 5 years, I don't even know what the limits and rules anymore for a ban is.

#93 Warlord.

Warlord.
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:35 PM

I play cello and some guitar.

Started in middle school, took private lessons, now (in college) I only and pull it out and play once in a while.

#94 Whyumad

Whyumad
  • 457 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:47 PM

I play cello and some guitar.

Started in middle school, took private lessons, now (in college) I only and pull it out and play once in a while.

You mean the guitar right?
I wouldn't pull out a dusty cello to play once in a while, but guitar.. at least you can woo some girls with that one.

#95 Warlord.

Warlord.
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:57 PM

I wouldn't pull out a dusty cello to play once in a while, but guitar.. at least you can woo some girls with that one.

The cello of course, it's much better.

#96 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:13 PM

used to play the trombone in middle school

#97 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:05 PM

I bet you woo certain girls with a cello...perhaps a deaf and blind onee

#98 Narna

Narna
  • 361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:23 PM

Clarinet, Grade 8

#99 Dayzee

Dayzee
  • 483 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:22 PM

Believe it or not, I play the oboe.