What to do with obsolete technology?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:40 PM

I have this Xbox from like 6 years ago just collecting dust in my cabinet but its completely functional. Is there anything I can do with it? My friend said there are ways to turn it into like a home entertainment system.

#2 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:56 PM

I have no idea man :( We just use our tech forever.

#3 RealRacingFan

RealRacingFan
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:15 PM

Get halo 1 on amazon and play it, it's pretty fun but not as much as halo 3. The warthog is so bouncy :)

#4 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:24 PM

You can...You can mod the Xboxes for about 20 dollars and do a lot of cool things to it..I mean but if you don't use it you could always donate it or sell it.

Or you can follow these amazing and long instructions for a Media Center

Spoiler

Okay wow that was huge,....just go here?

http://www.productwi...30-minutes.html

Granted..This was all so old..They might have changed things now but I doubt it..I do know Xbox360's are still hackable for under 20 bucks, but its more of Hardware change than software.

#5 RealRacingFan

RealRacingFan
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:30 PM

I wouldn't exploit the xbox. Plus, it's already fun with halo 1&2, serously...

Edited by RealRacingFan, 23 August 2010 - 11:34 PM.

#6 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:36 AM

Holy hell thats some crazy stuff. And HUUUUGE guide.

#7 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:58 AM

SMASH IT. That's what my friend and I did to his xbox 3 years ago when he first bought the elite. That thing is fucking made to survive a 500 foot drop. We stomping on it, throwing it against rocks and it took at least 10 minutes to break. Shit was so cash.

#8 Xcisor

Xcisor
  • 207 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:42 AM

Recycle it? Idk or just keep it around and make sure that the dust doenst ruin it so that way you can give it to your kids or something for a 'retro' system. I personally still enjoy playing Super Nintendo and arcade type games like that.

#9 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:30 AM

I have this Xbox from like 6 years ago just collecting dust in my cabinet but its completely functional. Is there anything I can do with it? My friend said there are ways to turn it into like a home entertainment system.

That's what I've done. I have xbmc on my old original xbox. It streams tv shows and movies from my upstairs computer and I can watch my favorite shows on the big screen :D. It also has a super nintendo and N64 emulator on it so I can play my Marios :D.

#10 Lallard

Lallard
  • 487 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:03 PM

Sledgehammer or Baseball Bat. Your pick :)

#11 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:17 PM

That's what I've done. I have xbmc on my old original xbox. It streams tv shows and movies from my upstairs computer and I can watch my favorite shows on the big screen :D. It also has a super nintendo and N64 emulator on it so I can play my Marios :D.

I was going to do this with a PS2, but then the disk drive broke :(

I envy your marios.

But I can emulate them joints too, just not on an xbox.

#12 RealRacingFan

RealRacingFan
  • 109 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:20 PM

I still support buying halo 1&2, lol, but seriously, it's fun!

#13 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:01 PM

donate it to my cousin in rural china :D (although i doubt he knows what an xbox is for). On a serious note, i thought you could leave xboxes and stuff at those places that recycle old computers.

#14 Lallard

Lallard
  • 487 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:31 PM

donate it to my cousin in rural china :D (although i doubt he knows what an xbox is for). On a serious note, i thought you could leave xboxes and stuff at those places that recycle old computers.

Do that to your cousin and he'll probably flip you off. The xbox is close to a decade old :p

#15 vin

vin
  • 314 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:30 AM

yeah i'm gonna go with the smash it ideaaaa. or you can sell it . although idk who would really want it . hahah

but destroying old shit is fun (;

#16 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:16 PM

Do that to your cousin and he'll probably flip you off. The xbox is close to a decade old :p

my cousin is like 18 and he JUST got his first computer...legit, not even kidding

#17 stellanox

stellanox
  • 440 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:00 PM

You can sell them or mod them into an entertainment system. That seems to be the most popular decisions that my friends do Posted Image

#18 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:14 PM

Alternatively, you could always try turning it into a computer build project by taking out all the Xbox components and trying to stuff a PC in there. :p

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users