Technology related..

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Adina

Adina
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:13 AM

So before I left for my last week of camp I bought a new camera, a sony cybershot. One of the more recent ones. I was hanging out with my friends outside, and I saw a smudge on the screen. It wouldn't go away, so I pressed a bit harder. The smudge went away but.. Now I'm left with a dark spot in the center of the camera. It's not completely black, and i can see what I would see if it wasn't there, it's just I see it a bit darker. Not too noticeable, but I notice it. It's really bothering me. Any way I can fix it? I paid like 50 dollars for warranty for 3 years, would that cover this type of damage?
Just wondering.
I'm not experienced with this stuff at all.

#2 EzioAuditore

EzioAuditore
  • 246 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:16 AM

It depends on what the warranty covers obviously. Not all warranties on electronics are the same.

I would call sony and ask them if it is covered (just don't tell them that the smudge is there because of you).

#3 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:24 AM

warranties for the most part is a huge scam...Usually warranties are for physical damage or software damage..A Smudge, not so much...

#4 Adina

Adina
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:29 AM

It's not a smudge, it's damaged underneath the screen. It's not something I can just wipe off.

#5 Faval

Faval
  • 637 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:07 AM

For things like screens being damaged, they have their own policies in place. Such as if you buy a tv/monitor with dead pixels, it must have at least 3 dead pixels before they'll allow you to return it and get a new one.

It sounds to me like it was somewhat damaged internally but not badly damaged. I have doubts they'll replace it for you but you should just call whoever you bought it from and ask about it. It doesn't hurt to try.

Edited by Faval, 02 September 2010 - 11:08 AM.

#6 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:10 AM

Yes. Your warranty would cover this.

warranties for the most part is a huge scam...Usually warranties are for physical damage or software damage..A Smudge, not so much...

A)Warranties do not cover physical or customer induced damage
B)Warranties do not cover software

And Warranties are epic.

#7 Adina

Adina
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:20 AM

Yes. Your warranty would cover this.

A)Warranties do not cover physical or customer induced damage
B)Warranties do not cover software

And Warranties are epic.

You said it wouldn't cover customer induced damage, so why would they cover for mine?
I asked on their online chat service, and a guy from Sony talked to me and said that warranty would cover that.

#8 Faval

Faval
  • 637 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:48 PM

You said it wouldn't cover customer induced damage, so why would they cover for mine?
I asked on their online chat service, and a guy from Sony talked to me and said that warranty would cover that.

That's good that they would cover that. Are they going to charge you for the shipping though? They're probably going to send you a refurbished camera to replace yours though.

Well warranty's are usually limited to what the customer can do to damage it. Like if you intentionally damage it just so you can replace it, there's no way they would want to replace it for you. If you accidentally damage it by dropping it or something, then that depends on the warranty and how they handle accidents.

#9 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:26 PM

Does the smudge appear in the picture or only on the screen. It sounds like you damaged it yourself by putting pressure on it so if they ask you, say it was like that when you bought it.

#10 Adina

Adina
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 September 2010 - 06:40 PM

It appears only on the screen, and I told the chat guy that. He said that my warranty covers it.

#11 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:29 AM

Because this would not be considered customer induced damage.

I used to handle warranties for multible companies... I know what I am talking about.

#12 Adina

Adina
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:23 AM

Because this would not be considered customer induced damage.

I used to handle warranties for multible companies... I know what I am talking about.

What about water damage? Don't worry I believe you, I'm just new to this stuff.

#13 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:55 AM

What about water damage? Don't worry I believe you, I'm just new to this stuff.

Water damage is not covered unless the camera states that it is waterproof.

#14 Adina

Adina
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:03 AM

Wow that's some shit warranty.

#15 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:32 PM

Wow that's some shit warranty.

Warranties are designed to garuntee that the manufacturer made a product that will not break. Electronics have never been, and will not for a long time be designed to play friendly with water. You expect your manufacturer to pay for a product whenever its not their fault that its broken? No.

If its something that they did, like a bad lcd screen, or a broken lens or something. They will cover that, because it should have been made to a quality level that it would have lasted.

#16 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:15 PM

Warranties are designed to garuntee that the manufacturer made a product that will not break. Electronics have never been, and will not for a long time be designed to play friendly with water. You expect your manufacturer to pay for a product whenever its not their fault that its broken? No.

If its something that they did, like a bad lcd screen, or a broken lens or something. They will cover that, because it should have been made to a quality level that it would have lasted.

From my own experience, a company will do whatever is possible to get out of a warranty. I suppose it'll happen sometimes though that the customer is screwed over. :p

#17 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:39 PM

From my own experience, a company will do whatever is possible to get out of a warranty. I suppose it'll happen sometimes though that the customer is screwed over. :p

Some companies do try to get out of the warranty, and other have retarded policies. For instance, if your toshiba computer has any form of OOW damage to it, regardless of if it could affect the problem or not, then they will not cover the repair on the warranty.

For instance. If you had scratches on the top of your laptop, and your S key was no longer working. They would want 170~ dollars to fix the Customer Induced Damage before they would perform the warranty repair.

But some companies are good at covering the warranty. Sony is an instance of this, because their TV's are around 400-1000 dollars more expensive then other manufacturers, so they have plenty of profit margin on sales.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users