Photo

User Agents?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Monkeh

Monkeh
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:23 PM

I know what user agents are (spoofs what browser you're using etc). But in terms of adding them manually in Abrosia I have no clue what to input. I've tried google to give me a list of "User Agents" but no avail. Could anyone provide for insight and maybe some in-depth knowledge. Very, much appreciated.

#2 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:42 AM

User-Agents are phrases that describe a browser. If you have Firefox, you can go Help > About Firefox.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8

That thing right there is the user-agent. Each browser has one.

#3 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1543 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:06 PM

When your browser contacts a website it goes through two processes:
*The Request
*The Return

(unless you want to get into some complicated streaming processes that dont really need to be done right now, there can be more :p)

When "the request" goes through there are "headers" that are sent to the server you are contacting, in those headers is a bunch of information about what it needs to return; one of which is "User-Agent" which lets the server know what browser it is that you are using. Some websites have filters setup to detect faulty user agents, in python the default one is "urllib2" which looks very very suspicious and, well unprofessional (if that makes sense)

Feel free to read into it a bit more :)
http://www.w3.org/Pr...ec5.html#sec5.3

~Cody

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users