Photo

Grave Digging.

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 iloveorange

iloveorange
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:30 PM

There are many topics that are years old that still have great potential for discussion. Is it really wrong to bring back a topic, just because it's old? Some people will criticize you simply for finding an old topic and putting your thoughts into, as you would a new topic.

Discuss: How do you feel about bringing old topics back to life?

#2 Gee

Gee
  • 498 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:37 PM

Answer honestly. If there was no incentive to posting (ie: hitting 500 to get advanced membership on the forums) would you or many others still post on an old topic? Especially those which are five years old?. You may be different, but there are others who simply spam to get 500 and then never show up again, from what I read around anyway.

If you do have an honest input I guess there's nothing wrong, and hey, I also reply to topics for the sake of posting and having fun. Every forum I post on (which by the way, doesn't have an incentive to post like these forums) I end up with several thousand posts. I just love to forum whore I guess.

#3 Salamanda

Salamanda
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:41 PM

To be perfectly honest and from what I've seen, you haven't been discussing much when you gravedig nor have you been opening the thread for more discussion. You have been nothing but spamming for numero 500 in my eyes. Why else would you be posting your simple, small opinion in numerous threads that people had lost interest in? There are plenty of other topics that are recent for you to post in, why don't you just make do with those?

#4 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:44 PM

Topics die for a reason, because the matter has been settled or people lose interest. Bumping a 4 yr old topic to say "LOL I agree" is not a good post. For example you dug up this topic just to rehash something that was mentioned in post 3.

#5 sircomflix

sircomflix
  • 461 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:47 PM

If the topic is still relevant, has some discussion life in it, and the reviving post that actually opens way for more discussion, then it's perfectly fine in my eyes.

#6 Foe

Foe
  • 168 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:47 PM

Answer honestly. If there was no incentive to posting (ie: hitting 500 to get advanced membership on the forums) would you or many others still post on an old topic? Especially those which are five years old?. You may be different, but there are others who simply spam to get 500 and then never show up again, from what I know from past forums.

#7 iloveorange

iloveorange
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:53 PM

Topics die for a reason, because the matter has been settled or people lose interest. Bumping a 4 yr old topic to say "LOL I agree" is not a good post. For example you dug up this topic just to rehash something that was mentioned in post 3.

The reason I brought up this topic is so I can get opinions from other codex members. I in no way said anything like "LOL I agree" I feel that is rude to say. I don't feel as if the topics have truly died, I gave my honest opinion on how I felt in each topic. I find these topics very interesting and I feel like they have much room for debate. When I post on one of them, it brings it back to life. There are already a good number of posts on these old topics.

To be perfectly honest and from what I've seen, you haven't been discussing much when you gravedig nor have you been opening the thread for more discussion. You have been nothing but spamming for numero 500 in my eyes. Why else would you be posting your simple, small opinion in numerous threads that people had lost interest in? There are plenty of other topics that are recent for you to post in, why don't you just make do with those?

These old topics have life left in them, at least in my eyes. I have brought many topics I find interesting back to life with much success. There are already quite a few more posts in them now. These are topics I feel are interesting and could be debated further. I am not just aiming for 500. I'm aiming for 500,000, then I will consider slowing down.

#8 Salamanda

Salamanda
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:54 PM

The reason I brought up this topic is so I can get opinions from other codex members. I in no way said anything like "LOL I agree" I feel that is rude to say. I don't feel as if the topics have truly died, I gave my honest opinion on how I felt in each topic. I find these topics very interesting and I feel like they have much room for debate. When I post on one of them, it brings it back to life. There are already a good number of posts on these old topics.

Which means alot of people have already posted in them and almost every side of an opinion, in one way shape or form, has been said. Even though you aren't using the exact words, "I agree LOL", your just repeating something which was more than likely already said.
And things like this, making an entire thread on the subject, you could have easily asked in the Status' whether or not it's ok to gravedig. Why would you need an opinion on this? There's not much room to expand the discussion.

#9 iloveorange

iloveorange
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:56 PM

My thoughts on gravedigging: If something new has came up that would further add an element of discussion or you feel the community hasn't fully discussed enough, it would be acceptable. Finding posts from years ago just to post is not.

ILoveBlue

I do agree with you, and I assume your suggesting that I am just throwing a sentence or two in there just to post. I am most certainly not, I feel like these topics have a lot of room for debate, and it would be rude to let them die with just a few posts. That would indeed defile their graves.

Edited by iloveorange, 01 October 2010 - 07:54 PM.

#10 Fresca

Fresca
  • 514 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:58 PM

My thoughts on gravedigging: If something new has came up that would further add an element of discussion or you feel the community hasn't fully discussed enough, it would be acceptable. Finding posts from years ago just to post is not.

I completely agree with this. I don't really think it's fair that any time someone posts on an old thread someone comes along with "~lolz why u gravediggin'?!" because if the person has added something thoughtful to the discussion there's no problem. Not everyone was around when the topic was discussed five years ago. Times have also changed. Maybe a member who was around five years ago when a topic was discussed has a different opinion now. Gravedigging a topic isn't the worst thing to do on a forum, but people act like it is. Of course. people who are posting just to increase their post count are obviously a different story. Then again, those same people will post one word replies in current topics, too, so even then who cares if they dig up an old topic? Worst case scenario: you see an old topic with a pointless new reply, just ignore it. Let it drop down the forum into oblivion again and then there's no problem.

#11 MsRose

MsRose
  • 664 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:03 PM

He's only using this as another means to get more posts. If he continues like this I'm sure the mods will just reset his post count. It's just annoying to deal with. Now all the relevant topics everyone was discussing are pushed back and at the bottom of the list.

#12 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:05 PM

Upon receiving a text message from you saying "You really don't have to be rude. D: Well, I replied to yours let's have a little war. :)"

From said text message I draw confirmation you are solely attempting to boost post count.

Good game.

What is this? I don't even...

#13 iloveorange

iloveorange
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:07 PM

What is this? I don't even...

He's is my brother, at least I know he is. He claims something of my real mom was a mountain goat, and I was adopted..

Edited by iloveorange, 01 October 2010 - 07:56 PM.

#14 iloveorange

iloveorange
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:10 PM

He's only using this as another means to get more posts. If he continues like this I'm sure the mods will just reset his post count. It's just annoying to deal with. Now all the relevant topics everyone was discussing are pushed back and at the bottom of the list.

Are the topics I've posted in not just as relevant as some of the ones previously being discussed? If neocodex didn't want us posting in old topics, why would they leave it there, unlocked at that?

#15 Georgina

Georgina
  • 2216 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:14 PM

He's is my brother, at least I know he is. He claims something of my real mom was a mountain goat, and I was adopted..

Lmao!!

I love this! How long did you beleive him? D:

#16 iloveorange

iloveorange
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:39 PM

Lmao!!

I love this! How long did you beleive him? D:

lol, I'd like to say I didn't. : ( I don't remember, for some years of my childhood, I imagine.

Which means alot of people have already posted in them and almost every side of an opinion, in one way shape or form, has been said. Even though you aren't using the exact words, "I agree LOL", your just repeating something which was more than likely already said.
And things like this, making an entire thread on the subject, you could have easily asked in the Status' whether or not it's ok to gravedig. Why would you need an opinion on this? There's not much room to expand the discussion.

When I said "There are already a good number of posts on these old topics" I meant since I had brought them back. Maybe you should take a look at my posts and see if they are indeed pretty much the same thing someone else said, or if it is original. I feel like there is room to expand on this topic, or I would not have created it.

Edited by iloveorange, 01 October 2010 - 07:56 PM.

#17 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:51 PM

I think that if you want to discuss something again that's actually worth talking about, then make a new thread. It'll just make everyone angry to gravedig and we'll all just troll you otherwise

to an extent of course, although it really depends on what topic we're discussing at all.

#18 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:55 AM

I don't really mind it. It's the users that get on your case. :p

#19 iloveorange

iloveorange
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:06 AM

All of you who get upset with me for bringing old topics back to life and then post in them, are true hypocrites. If your against the cause why help it out?! Many of these topics now have a lot more debate going on and are staying at the top, I feel like this has been a success.

Edited by iloveorange, 02 October 2010 - 10:38 AM.

#20 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:29 AM

All of you who get upset with me for bringing old topics back to life and then post in them, are true hippocrates.

Posted Image

Hippocrates is not amused with this spelling error.

#21 RealRacingFan

RealRacingFan
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:35 AM

ROFL when I first heard of this thread, I was thinking of ODST's with drop pods. Anyway, my opinion is that, if there is a popular thread that actually had some good things to read about, it's actually kinda good. But on the other hand, if you are bringing a trade thread or a garbage thread back up, you are a spammer.

#22 iloveorange

iloveorange
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:39 AM

Posted Image

Ohh sorry, google chrome tells me to do this. D: poor hippocrates. I feel terrible.

Edited by iloveorange, 02 October 2010 - 10:46 AM.

#23 Gee

Gee
  • 498 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 03:03 PM

Posted Image

OMG LOL. I lol'd out loud, hahaha. That's exactly what I thought when he says "hippocrates" but I don't feel like being an asshole grammar Nazi and point it out.

#24 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2010 - 03:15 PM

Posted Image

How's that for a summary?

#25 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards