Photo

Inflating Items

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 DenyingSystems

DenyingSystems
  • 578 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:31 AM

Anyone know how well one could inflate white petpets (I have about 4 that I was considering, all of which are around 10-30k and are not super abundant)

Also, any thoughts on inflation vs. autobuying?

#2 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:44 AM

mmmm I wouldn't suggest inflating any coloured petpet (or generally any at all) because pretend everyone bought all white petpets, they could always buy a different coloured petpet and just buy a white petpet paint brush (assuming the petpet somehow became worth more than the paintbrush itself)

Aka you'd have to buy ALL the petpets in order to inflate it. Depending on the petpet, could be extremely difficult and unprofitable.

#3 DenyingSystems

DenyingSystems
  • 578 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:46 AM

I know, but most people are extremely stupid...think of tyrannian intesteens. It was pretty easy to be able to trade tyrannian intesteen + 50k for baby pb. Especially if you neomail everyone to pester them about your trade and how they should accept.

Also, it's easier to get iced from ABing than inflating/scamming from what I've heard.

#4 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:11 PM

Also, it's easier to get iced from ABing than inflating/scamming from what I've heard.

The people who relayed this information to you are retarded and either don't know how to use the programs intellectually, or are incredibly stupid and just ABed in the high risk shops.

#5 DenyingSystems

DenyingSystems
  • 578 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:17 PM

I never got that info directly, just inferred from all the talk of getting iced from ABing...

Nevermind about ABing, there's no challenge in that and anyways, I just tied myself up ~150k in something I'm trying to get a baby pb for

#6 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:21 PM

Nevermind about ABing, there's no challenge in that and anyways, I just tied myself up ~150k in something I'm trying to get a baby pb for

Hurray for you?

Also note, we don't constitute scamming here, so if you're wanting to discuss it or practice it, you can shove it in unpleasant areas of your body.

#7 DenyingSystems

DenyingSystems
  • 578 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:23 PM

I'd like to know the difference between ABing and inflating. ABing is using a cheat program to take items away from others that are trying to obtain them fairly without using cheat programs.

#8 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:27 PM

I'd like to know the difference between ABing and inflating. ABing is using a cheat program to take items away from others that are trying to obtain them fairly without using cheat programs.

Actually, you're not taking the items away from "legit" restockers, everything is fair game, and whomever is faster, wins.

Inflating really isn't any better, you're artificially raising the prices of items by monopolizing the market and forcing people to pay what you want instead of what the current market trend is, which is just as freezable of an offence as ABing is.

#9 DenyingSystems

DenyingSystems
  • 578 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:29 PM

Neither are "good" but they're both commonly used and ABing does the restocking faster, longer, and more efficiently than a human can, making it unfair, not that false inflation is any better though.

#10 ArticTheTiger

ArticTheTiger
  • 1318 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:30 PM

Actually, you're not taking the items away from "legit" restockers, everything is fair game, and whomever is faster, wins.

Inflating really isn't any better, you're artificially raising the prices of items by monopolizing the market and forcing people to pay what you want instead of what the current market trend is, which is just as freezable of an offence as ABing is.

Hate to be correcting you, but didn't TNT say inflating is not freezable UNLESS its a group effort?

#11 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:31 PM

There are some things which it would be practical and possible to inflate. A white petpet is not one of them

#12 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:33 PM

Hate to be correcting you, but didn't TNT say inflating is not freezable UNLESS its a group effort?

Probably not, but I'm sure it would be too much of a workload and investment for a single person to do it successfully so they factored it out.

Anyone who puts so much time to inflate an item in a virtual market that accomplishes almost nothing needs something better to do, though.

#13 DenyingSystems

DenyingSystems
  • 578 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:35 PM

@Arctic
Inflating is such a massive gray area, you can interpret what TNT said in all sorts of crazy ways...the way I read it as: No group inflating, period. No claiming an item is worth more than it is (I can't tell people an item is worth so much money, but I can sort of hint it). So basically, when tyrannian intesteens were the craze, I'd nm people saying what I'll trade them and tell them to check tp prices. Also, to be sure to not lose money, don't make the petpet unless they say yes.

@Kyle
If so, what made tyrannian intesteen, orange stopngo 400, and yellow werhond all work...all of which were painted petpets

Also, in about ~20 minutes, I traded off this certain petpet + a little cash for a baby pb

Edited by DenyingSystems, 12 October 2010 - 12:47 PM.

#14 Elle

Elle
  • ShadowLink64's Rebel

• 894 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:44 PM

Hurray for you?

Also note, we don't constitute scamming here, so if you're wanting to discuss it or practice it, you can shove it in unpleasant areas of your body.

im still laughing at how you made this comment sound completely and utterly polite :p

#15 InsertRandomNameHere

InsertRandomNameHere
  • 340 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:33 AM

@OP
If you raised the price of an item on purpose, even alone, you can already get frozen. If you even resort to neomailing the person, you will most likely be reported which warrants a 99% freeze rate.

Source : Experience. I froze those fuzzy suckers

#16 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:33 AM

im still laughing at how you made this comment sound completely and utterly polite :p

I felt being a little professional was needed.

#17 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:58 AM

I felt being a little professional was needed.

You are now a professional smart ass then? I'd like to see your certification, sir. 

#18 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:20 PM

You are now a professional smart ass then? I'd like to see your certification, sir.

Posted Image

Here you go, all in working order.

#19 Derriere

Derriere
  • The Black Guy

• 686 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:24 PM

I'm going to go with inflation is more dangerous on your part
because active players will always call you out on that and it'll be visible
and report happies are just there to give you that extra push off the cliff.

AB is more anonymous and dependable and is a better investment, time-wise as well.
Unless of course you keep it running 24/7.

If you want inflation , don't bother wasting your NPs
Well it all depends on what the item you're trying to inflate, but you get people
mailing you like bitches, try the stock market :)

#20 DragonEx

DragonEx
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:41 AM

Well, I do inflations on certain items as a method to gain an extra bit of np, and to be very honest, I did not know it was not correct until I saw this thread. My mentality is just supply and demand, if I can inflate an item, it means the demand is more than the supply, does not matter if I am artificially creating the demand or not because neopets does not want to put in the supply to accomodate for the demands of neopians.

Feel free to debate about my mentailty. All point of views are welcome.

#21 bakedpotato

bakedpotato
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:09 PM

Well if a few of us got together and were ABing in the same shop to cover it 24/7 with different members from different parts of the world, we could maybe effectively raise the price on something no matter how much it restocks, if its always us getting it. It'd have to be something that is already a bit rare and we'd have to hold on to the stuff for a while to notice any price change, but it could work if done right i guess... i doubt we could get this sort of organization together to do it, but it'd be cool if we could.

#22 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:46 PM

Well if a few of us got together and were ABing in the same shop to cover it 24/7 with different members from different parts of the world, we could maybe effectively raise the price on something no matter how much it restocks, if its always us getting it. It'd have to be something that is already a bit rare and we'd have to hold on to the stuff for a while to notice any price change, but it could work if done right i guess... i doubt we could get this sort of organization together to do it, but it'd be cool if we could.

It would never happen, but that is a really interesting idea. If we had, say, 50% or so of said rare item, and the group (12 members for ease) each doubling in coverage of 4 hour blocks of the day, we could really make an impact. But, it wouldn't work. Huge organization would be needed, nobody could get frozen or miss an item, and everyone would have to wait and sell at exactly the same time, which NEVER happens in organized inflation.

#23 bakedpotato

bakedpotato
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:54 PM

I think 3-5 well organized people could do it, if they had good enough internet connections to get at least 75% of whatever it is that they're trying to inflate, also NP to invest in buying lower range of item off shop wiz if it would help in the case of some things that are like 10k but then go up to like 50k+ when you refresh. There aren't many of these items but it seems like everyone trying to price lower than other people drives prices on stuff a lot lower than it can be.

I don't think very many people like to sit on stuff and wait and not sell it, even if they get more profit. I sell stuff in my shop sometimes thousands less than shop wiz just to get rid of stuff. I think a lot of other people do too.

it'd be hard to set up and get working, especially because of the risk of getting frozen, would mess up the whole operation quite a bit.

#24 bakedpotato

bakedpotato
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:14 AM

Well then pharmacy would probably be a good place to try since all of the stuff is 1 use, I haven't been on neopets long enough lately to know if theres anything new in there but if we could get all of the 'x' that restock, after a while we should be able to adjust the price at least somewhat.

It'd take more organization than a few ideas thrown around in this thread, but i mean, gotta start somewhere, maybe this might lead to something.

#25 Plunk

Plunk
  • Official Neocodex Dollface

• 545 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:30 PM

The only problem being that a lot of pharmacy items are put out every day, and none are/can be retired due to ongoing infections/diseases. It would be almost impossible for even a decent sized group to pick off every item during a restock, and if the people who got them wanted, they could sell them for a much lower price than the inflated price. Best just to buy up consumables that may end up retired soon, such as older books.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users