• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#26 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:35 PM

The only problem being that a lot of pharmacy items are put out every day, and none are/can be retired due to ongoing infections/diseases. It would be almost impossible for even a decent sized group to pick off every item during a restock, and if the people who got them wanted, they could sell them for a much lower price than the inflated price. Best just to buy up consumables that may end up retired soon, such as older books.

This

It would have to be a fairly high rarity item which is still relatively cheap, and is one use or an avatar item or something.

#27 Plunk

Plunk
  • Official Neocodex Dollface

• 545 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:31 PM

Exactly. See, I'm new here, but not to Neopets. I know what I'm talking about.

#28 sircomflix

sircomflix
  • 461 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:18 PM

Exactly. See, I'm new here, but not to Neopets. I know what I'm talking about.

Well supply and demand isn't necessarily NP specific.

And hasn't TNT done bans for inflation attempts?

#29 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:21 PM

Snorkle Snout is the only avatar item I think this would be remotely possible with. The rarity is probably too low, however. What are the other "in demand" one use items? By in demand I mean things like avatars. So another would be books because people want that book club thing.

#30 bakedpotato

bakedpotato
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:25 PM

not EVERYTHING in pharmacy is that 'un-rare'...

sporkle syrup i think and neck braces dont restock THAT often, but often enough that we could get a good amount of em if we had people ABing in there and saving em up and buying the lowest priced ones on shop wiz.. price would have to go up and sporkle syrup i think is over 99k right now so that makes it even easier i think cus you dont have to get it off the shop wiz

#31 Plunk

Plunk

• 545 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:14 AM

Yeah, but I've RS'd like 6-7 Sporkle Syrup in one night, so they're not that rare. It's at about 200-300K right now, and fluctuating wildly. I'm just waiting for it to crash.

#32 DenyingSystems

DenyingSystems
  • 578 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:36 AM

I see what you guys are saying about ABing out one item and waiting for the supply to wither and demand to go up, but that seems quite difficult. With painted petpets it's easy though. Other people try to inflate it by charging an unfair price for it and then put it on tp, then you just use their prices without trying to actually charge it yourself and trade it for other items. I believe it isn't as freezable like this because TNT said that trying to charge an inflated price for something is scamming, but merely offering your inflated crap for another item isn't because you're using other people's scamming to your advantage sort of. Not exactly sure, but so far I haven't been frozen.

Hmmm, might have to try some ABing in the near future possibly

#33 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:39 PM

I see what you guys are saying about ABing out one item and waiting for the supply to wither and demand to go up, but that seems quite difficult. With painted petpets it's easy though. Other people try to inflate it by charging an unfair price for it and then put it on tp, then you just use their prices without trying to actually charge it yourself and trade it for other items. I believe it isn't as freezable like this because TNT said that trying to charge an inflated price for something is scamming, but merely offering your inflated crap for another item isn't because you're using other people's scamming to your advantage sort of. Not exactly sure, but so far I haven't been frozen.

Hmmm, might have to try some ABing in the near future possibly

You aren't listening.

The price of a painted petpet is regulated by the price of the petpet+the price of the paintbrush used to create that color. The item would never ACTUALLY be worth more than the combination of these two items. If you are currently able to take advantage of some ignorance on the TP and sell a few items for more than they are worth (which is set in stone) then thats great.

However the point of a large scale, organized inflation such as the type being discussed in this thread is to create a long term, ACTUAL price increase, thus making a very very large profit margin for those involved.

For example, if we were to inflate Snorkle Snout which was like 50k a few days ago, heres how it would work (in theory). Snorkle Snout is an "in demand" item because it is used for an avatar, and is one use. That means many people want the item, there are always a high number being taken out of the economy because it is one use, and because Snorkle Snout is a relatively high rarity item it wont restock a ton, making it easier for a group of inflaters to control the amount entering the economy. If each person involved buys, say, 100 items over a period of time at an average of 50k each (taking into account the items restocking cheap, and also those priced above the lowest on the wiz), then each person is in 5mil. The price increase which would be associated with that huge volume of items being "removed" from the economy by 10 or so people could (in theory) push the price to 500k, or even more than that. That would mean that assuming the inflation process is well organized and each person sells at the same time, each participating member would make 45mil or more.

Do you see how this just isn't practical with something like painted petpets? For all the effort and time (and risk) associated with a large scale inflation, you have to get huge pay returns to make it worth it.

#34 Plunk

Plunk

• 545 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:51 PM

You aren't listening.

The price of a painted petpet is regulated by the price of the petpet+the price of the paintbrush used to create that color. The item would never ACTUALLY be worth more than the combination of these two items. If you are currently able to take advantage of some ignorance on the TP and sell a few items for more than they are worth (which is set in stone) then thats great.

However the point of a large scale, organized inflation such as the type being discussed in this thread is to create a long term, ACTUAL price increase, thus making a very very large profit margin for those involved.

For example, if we were to inflate Snorkle Snout which was like 50k a few days ago, heres how it would work (in theory). Snorkle Snout is an "in demand" item because it is used for an avatar, and is one use. That means many people want the item, there are always a high number being taken out of the economy because it is one use, and because Snorkle Snout is a relatively high rarity item it wont restock a ton, making it easier for a group of inflaters to control the amount entering the economy. If each person involved buys, say, 100 items over a period of time at an average of 50k each (taking into account the items restocking cheap, and also those priced above the lowest on the wiz), then each person is in 5mil. The price increase which would be associated with that huge volume of items being "removed" from the economy by 10 or so people could (in theory) push the price to 500k, or even more than that. That would mean that assuming the inflation process is well organized and each person sells at the same time, each participating member would make 45mil or more.

Do you see how this just isn't practical with something like painted petpets? For all the effort and time (and risk) associated with a large scale inflation, you have to get huge pay returns to make it worth it.

Except that Snorkle Snouts are also being put out by Key Quest now, (Hence the price drop) So it would be nearly impossible to create a Snorkle Snout monopoly unless we had people patrolling Key Quest and winning every game, which would never happen.

#35 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:58 PM

Except that Snorkle Snouts are also being put out by Key Quest now, (Hence the price drop) So it would be nearly impossible to create a Snorkle Snout monopoly unless we had people patrolling Key Quest and winning every game, which would never happen.

I realize Snorkle Snout isn't an ideal situation at the moment. I was using this item as an example of what can happen if the process is properly organized and the right amount of work is put in.

#36 Plunk

Plunk

• 545 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:38 AM

I realize Snorkle Snout isn't an ideal situation at the moment. I was using this item as an example of what can happen if the process is properly organized and the right amount of work is put in.

I know, I just like denying someone the satisfaction of a perfect scenario. I find it fun. :whistling:

#37 DenyingSystems

DenyingSystems
  • 578 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:05 PM

I totally see what you're saying. The main point of this thread, was basically for short-term inflated junk since normally there is at least 1 item I can get/make for 150k or less and trade for 400k+

I'm in the process of trying to think about longer-term though, so this thread and your input help.

#38 DenyingSystems

DenyingSystems
  • 578 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:36 AM

That's just smart investing though.

#39 DenyingSystems

DenyingSystems
  • 578 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:27 PM

My main point for this thread was completely bullshit inflation aka false inflation. With items that are actually useful, it's different, and I understand it for that, because there is a legitimate demand. What I'm talking about is passing off useless items for more than they're worth.

#40 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:29 PM

My main point for this thread was completely bullshit inflation aka false inflation. With items that are actually useful, it's different, and I understand it for that, because there is a legitimate demand. What I'm talking about is passing off useless items for more than they're worth.

And the main point that we're trying to make is that although you may be able to do that occasionally, it's not consistent enough to be worth the effort. The model for group inflation is there, and the model for good investing is there (snorkle snout), and both are more practical

#41 DenyingSystems

DenyingSystems
  • 578 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:37 PM

And the main point that we're trying to make is that although you may be able to do that occasionally, it's not consistent enough to be worth the effort. The model for group inflation is there, and the model for good investing is there (snorkle snout), and both are more practical

Fair enough. As for consistency, it's how I've been making my money for the past few weeks and I'm up to around 5-6m from doing it. Not great, but I cba with reselling and such. Not too keen on group inflation since it seems like a high freeze rate and often bail outs. Good investing is something I need to get better at.

#42 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:50 PM

Fair enough. As for consistency, it's how I've been making my money for the past few weeks and I'm up to around 5-6m from doing it. Not great, but I cba with reselling and such. Not too keen on group inflation since it seems like a high freeze rate and often bail outs. Good investing is something I need to get better at.

Well to your credit you're making more NP from fake inflation than I am with artificial or actual inflation because I haven't invested in anything yet. I'm mulling over Snorkle Snout, but I'm not sure it will ever hit its previous marks of 2-300k. If it only got to like 150k its not worth the effort in my mind.

#43 DenyingSystems

DenyingSystems
  • 578 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:55 PM

I'd be wary of snorkle snout too since right now it's pretty darn low. Although it seems to have made a bit of progress, a week ago I saw them going for 35-45k, now I think they're 50k+...not too sure though, I don't check the prices of them.

#44 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:57 PM

I'd be wary of snorkle snout too since right now it's pretty darn low. Although it seems to have made a bit of progress, a week ago I saw them going for 35-45k, now I think they're 50k+...not too sure though, I don't check the prices of them.

They were like 45k, now they're like 75k. I mean if they would go up to 300k I would stock up on 30 or so. But it doesn't seem even close to a sure thing

#45 DenyingSystems

DenyingSystems
  • 578 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:58 PM

Ya, they're such a low rarity it's hard to tell where they'll go from here.

#46 DenyingSystems

DenyingSystems
  • 578 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:19 PM

Your idea of artificially inflating a worthless item and then telling everyone how much it's worth to me is in the same boat as scamming.

Thing is, I never tell anyone how much it is worth, they're just left to do their own research. It's technically not considered scamming by TNT. Bending the rules? Yes. Blatant scamming? No.

#47 Plunk

Plunk

• 545 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:03 PM

Thing is, I never tell anyone how much it is worth, they're just left to do their own research. It's technically not considered scamming by TNT. Bending the rules? Yes. Blatant scamming? No.

Key words.
Technically: You have a 50/50 chance that TNT will decide you are scamming, and will freeze your account. They're a lot more strict about this stuff than they used to be.
Blatant: It is scamming, due to artificial inflation of a nearly worthless item. Is it an outright scam? Technically yes. You are raising the price of an item through artificial means. Is it officially a scam? :shifty: No. But TNT may see it as such.

#48 alphadark

alphadark
  • 277 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:48 PM

I've noticed that in shop wizard there are sometimes small inventory of certain items while I'm doing food quest. wouldn't they be easier to inflate?

#49 DenyingSystems

DenyingSystems
  • 578 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 11:06 AM

Key words.
Technically: You have a 50/50 chance that TNT will decide you are scamming, and will freeze your account. They're a lot more strict about this stuff than they used to be.
Blatant: It is scamming, due to artificial inflation of a nearly worthless item. Is it an outright scam? Technically yes. You are raising the price of an item through artificial means. Is it officially a scam? :shifty: No. But TNT may see it as such.

I know, and that's a risk I'm willing to take, as is ABing. While, strictly by the rules, not considered scamming, TNT has also said they'll freeze people for bending the rules/finding loopholes.

I've noticed that in shop wizard there are sometimes small inventory of certain items while I'm doing food quest. wouldn't they be easier to inflate?

Yes, but if there's no demand, it's hard to create demand by yourself. The reason some of these useless items work, is because other people create a false demand for them by overpricing them on the tp and I take advantage of this by trading the useless item off. What I'm saying is, unless it's a worthy item, it's hard to create demand on your own.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users